Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse doesn't work with PS/2 adapter.  (Read 1957 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Mouse doesn't work with PS/2 adapter.
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:24:43 PM »
I have a friend who fried his computer pwr supply when his power line neutral broke.  It was an old Dell (about 1996 mod).   I removed his drives and reinstalled them in an even older tower with a mother board and CPU already mounted.  This tower did not have the standard PS/2 connectors for the keyboard and mouse.  The mouse is connected to a serial input port with an adapter (9 pin serial port to  PS/2).   I manage to boot up Windows 95 but I get the message “This computer does not detect the presence of a mouse.  Shut down windows to connect a mouse to the PS/2 connector”.  And, sure enough, I do not get any response from the mouse.   The BIOS is setup with “AWARD SOFTWARE INC”  (Now PHEONIX).   The CPU is an Intel 1 (or 486),  I have searched through the BIOS setup and chipset setup trying to find a problem with no results.  Any suggestions??  My friend has little money and I am trying to keep cost down.  I feel the problem is probably very simple but beyond my scope.  Thanks for reading this,  Jim
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Computer_Commando

Re: Mouse doesn't work with PS/2 adapter.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »
I think Windows 95 requires a driver for a serial mouse.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:21:39 PM »
    I seem to remember win95 requires a driver for pretty much everything ......

I would concur with Computer_Commando

Hope that solves your issue

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »
    Thank you guys, that was exactly the problem.  I dind't have a mouse driver for Windows 95, but I switched to a trackball and installed it's drivers.  Thank's again,   jim
    You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,