Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Favorites Icons not Showing  (Read 5239 times)

Gatika

Favorites Icons not Showing
« on: January 24, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »
The unique Favorites Icons don't show up in my Favorites List anymore, the only image is that default 'e' with a page in the background.

I know that most of the sites in my Favorites have a favicon, I can't figure out why they're not showing up.  :-?

Dell Dimension 8200, Windows XP, Microsoft Office Small Business, IE.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Favorites Icons not Showing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:25:26 PM »
When did this stop displaying? Are you accepting cookies? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

Flame

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:04:26 PM »
Nothing abnormal about that.  Be default, IE does not retain favicons after a restart or after the browser is closed and re-opened.  

To make favicons permanent, you must either install some add-on or use a utility, such as FavOrg from PC Magazine (pcmag.com), or you must manually save the favicon to your hard drive, then change the icon for that website to the one you saved.  To do that, select a Favorite, right click on it, select Properties, click on the Change Icon button, locate your favicon and save the change.

Gatika

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:03:51 AM »
That's bizzare.  :-/

And no, I don't think I've changed any settings or anything. I just know that they were visible sometimes, and not others, but didn't pay attention to when or why. Maybe IE will modify that? That would be nice. Or maybe I'll switch to another browser anyway.

Thanks for the help.  ;D

soybean, is that utility from pcmag safe to download and use?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 07:06:03 AM by Gatika »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:15:54 AM »
Yes, it's safe. You can read their article about it at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,13999,00.asp; the page also has a link for downloading it.  Their utilities used to be free, but no longer.  For single downloads, for non-PC Magazine subsribers, the fee is $5.97.  They also have an option for unlimited downloads for 1 year, for a higher fee, of course.  

Here's some more info from their site: "The program also lets you associate any icon you choose with a given shortcut, even if no favicon is provided. Since FavOrg must check the validity of an Internet shortcut before attempting to download the favicon, it automatically flags dead links as it goes through your Favorites list. If you like, it can update redirected links or reset dead links to the site's root."

Gatika

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:29:34 AM »
Many thanks.  ;D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:53:30 PM »
As usual, come back and see us if you have any questions  ;)

Flame