Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows suddenly freezing up  (Read 2417 times)

wadehart

Windows suddenly freezing up
« on: January 25, 2006, 02:19:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago my power supply fan started making grinding noises, VERY intermitently.  A few days ago the computer froze on me. After 10 minutes I powered it down and it restarted and operated normally.  Night before last I powered down the computer and the next morning when we started it up 1) the power supply fan was 'grinding' again and 2) the computer froze as windows was loading (before the user/password screen popped up).  It continued doing this despite power downs and reboots.  I was able to start it back up in safe mode.  I went into the event viewer and there were a bunch or errors with processes being stopped.  When inquiring on the microsoft site, they (naturally) had no information on these errors.  The CMOS reported the CPU was cool temperature wise.   The voltages appeared to be steady though I dought it would display spikes.  The only odd thing was that the 'system' fans RPM was varrying by as much as 100 rpm's every few seconds.

When trying to fix the problem I:
 Throughly cleaned all dust
   Same Problems
 Removed the floppy drive and the 2 cd-rom's from the system.
    Same Problems
 Attemptd to run a Check Disk on the harddrive but it froze 1/2 way through the 4th step.

Heres the kicker.  Today it seems to be running fine.  The event viewer is not showing any errors and the PSU fan is running smoothly although the the RPM's are still varrying.

My question is:  Could all this be power supply related?  Or is likely some other problem?

My system is:
AMD Sempron CPU
Windows XP home edition

Thanks for any help guys!!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Windows suddenly freezing up
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:43:57 PM »
    wadehart...
    A couple of days ago my power supply fan started making grinding noises, VERY intermitently
    That fan should not be making "grinding noises" ......  It's very possible it's beginning to break down...AND it could well be creating the other issues you are describing ........ PSUs aren't all that expensive........ I would be inclined to get a new one ......... and remember don't go for the cheapest one ......select the wattage you want and perhaps even a higher wattage would be advisable....because if you add.... say a additional Hd , optical drive or a larger vid card the higher wattage PSU will still be adequate.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

Re: Windows suddenly freezing up
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »
    You already know what the problem is. Just put in a new QUALITY power supply. Let us know how that works for you.  ;)