Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cds stutter in drive  (Read 3497 times)

a p

cds stutter in drive
« on: August 11, 2004, 01:43:46 AM »
every couple of seconds there's a digital stutter, making listening annoying, first happened in the dvd-rom drive, restarted the computer and everything was okay, then a week later it happened, again, but restarting didn't fix it, then it happened to the cd-rom drive,
tried updating drivers, uninstalling, using a:\ drive boot disks to update firmware, which temporarily fixed the cd-rom drive, but i've had to do that a couple of times, but the dvd-rom drive has been perpetually stuttering for 3 days, including, also, when playing DVDs

cricket

Re: cds stutter in drive
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 09:51:27 AM »
There could be a couple of causes:

- The drives might not be seated properly (slightly tilted)

- If you leave you system running constantly, they might be heating up and causing performance issues.

- You might want to check your system resources, if they are running low that can cause a problem as well.

- Or the drives might be bad <= hope its not this one

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 01:32:40 PM »
does this happens to all disks or copy one ones...operating system and software use when this occurs...

a p

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 02:27:21 AM »
thanks for the responses,

i've whacked my computer a bunch of times after it started doing this, out of frustration, but it didn't help,
my computer has been on 99% of the time for 1.5 years, so maybe i'll give it an overdue rest later this evening.
this happens even when i've nothing open, ie, just rebooted my computer and used "task manager" to turn off anything i didn't need open,
it happens to store-bought pre-recorded compact discs, as well as DVDs, and cd-rs,
windowsXP and it happens using winamp, WMP, urusoft VIplayer, and powerDVD,
thanks

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 02:41:22 PM »
admin tools event viewer log what does it show..run dxdiag  in the run box to test you sound... or  have your ide cables had it..due to be on so long?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:44:31 PM by merlin_2 »