Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thermal event  (Read 2837 times)

technischerko

Thermal event
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »
My dell keeps on shutting off , It just goes off no warning , Then once i boot it back up , I get the computer has been recently shutdown due to a thermal event , Press f1 to continue f2 to enter setup.. I checked the fans thinking the CPU wasent getting any air , And they are all working fine... any help here i would love!

GX1_Man

Re: Thermal event
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »
With no model # we are just guessing, but I would say that the fan has failed at some point and the CPU got overheated. You may either remove and reseat the CMOS battery or reset the NVRAM, but I would change that fan out pronto!

technischerko

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »
Its a dell deminsion 4500s , And its running windows xp pro , with a 32 mb Radeon Grap card , Tryed taking the card out still acts the same.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:32:32 PM »
Try depressing the Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock keys (so all lights are on the keyboard) The hold down the Alt and hold down e and see if it beeps a few times, then reboot. If no beeping in that model (which indicates you've cleared the NVRAM) then remove the CMOS battery as above.

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 02:53:06 PM »
The inbuilt thermal sensors used in these machines and the software that translates their output leaves a lot to be desired. have a look around for some decent monitoring software and compare logs.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »
With Dell's you will continue to get this message until one of the above conditions are met (AND the faulty device is replaced if it happens again).