Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please help! external hardrive  (Read 3067 times)

dubbnasty

please help! external hardrive
« on: January 30, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
Hello all i am new to computer help. I recently ran a norton anti-virus scan on my desktop in fear of that worm going around. I had my external hard drive hooked up to it when it did it. My hardrive is a Maxtor 3100 80gb hard drive.  After running the scan and cleanup options my external hardrive no longer works. When i plug it into the desktop the computer recognizes it but when i click on the hardrive slot in the my computer screen it says that its blank. It even gives me the little screen showing how much free space is on it and how much space is in total and still when i click on it it says its blank. This is an emergency b/c im a 3rd yr animation student whos about to graduate and all of my projects are gone.  Anyone with any help or suggestions or anything will be deeply appreciated. Im running windows xp on my computer. thank you. :' :'

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: please help! external hardrive
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 04:58:06 PM »
With execption to the space, we have the same series  ;D  Ok back to the point, see if GoBack helps... Do you have norton GoBack?

Flame
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:19:48 PM by flame »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »
If it's THAT critical, you could contact a data recovery service before monkeying with it.  If not, you can try some of the suggestions that will be posted.

You should try it on another computer first, preferably one that can burn to CD or DVD.

All hard drives die eventually. That is no place for a backup! If critical data, multiple backup locations are wisest.

dubbnasty

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:35 PM »
im not sure if i have norton go back. I just got norton security off my brother b.c of this doomsday virus supposedly going around. what i feared might happen to my work happened anyway. where on the norton menu would go back be? im lookin and i dont see it.

how do i get in contact with one of these data recovery services? how do i go about it? is it an online service or do i have to take it somewhere.

all hardrives die eventually? *censored* i wish the guy at staples wouldve told me that. he told me that, and i quote "this thing'll last way longer than cds ever will" guess not huh?

i tried it on my bros laptop and and a friends desktop and still no results. i went to the device manager and it only lists my internal  hardrive. im so confused.
 thanks for the input.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:07:33 AM »
It's not cheap, but that stuff sounds pretty important. Check some services out. THey have to be in possession of the hard drive.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=data+recovery+service

"all hardrives die eventually? darn i wish the guy at staples wouldve told me that. he told me that, and i quote "this thing'll last way longer than cds ever will" guess not huh? "

There is more profit in selling hard drives than CD's.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 04:10:06 AM by GX1_Man »

dubbnasty

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »
i checked out some sites and they're supposed to be sending me some quotes on the situation. But i dont think ill be able to afford it. I looked around and some services start at 500 big ones. doesnt exactly fit into the poor art student budget. have you ever heard of norton goback? is there a way that i can just restore the files like system restore. any helps appreciated.

dubbnasty

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 01:41:36 PM »
a friend of mine jus told me to check out a downloadable program called easy recovery professional. has anyone ever heard of this? does it work on external drives or whut? thanks.