Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 8 year old wiped hard drive  (Read 2377 times)

chrissy_p0

8 year old wiped hard drive
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:45:35 AM »
 >:(  :o   :-?
I have a separate hard drive for my music and videos. My son decided that he wanted to watch a film while i was in the bath!! he of course thought he didn't need to ask! >:(  I now cannot open the drive. It says that it needs formatting and do i want to do it now, i click no.
His version of what happened is that he tried to turn the volume up, then turned it off and tried to start the film again and as he has no patience probably clicked it lots of times. He says that windows shut down. I cant obtain any further info from him except that he did see a window with a red cross on it! He says that he didn't see the format box.
When i start the pc it says something along the lines of........
F drive type is NTFS
One of your disks needs checking
Fixing critical master file table (MFT) with MFT mirror
Unable to read MFT
Aborting!
I'm running windows XP home on my c drive and the f drive doesn't have an operating system on it. Any help would be really appreciated! :)
The c drive is workin fine and it is still showing that the f drive is still there.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    Re: 8 year old wiped hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »
    Try Last Known Good Configuration at startup. hit F8 before windows sign...
    You should have a password if you have such a kid at home ;D
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »
    Never leave kids alone with the computer. Have good Goback software if you do. Norton Goback is good  ;)  Oh, which operating system are you using by the way?

Flame
    « Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 04:45:40 PM by flame »

chrissy_p0

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 07:25:18 AM »
     :'( :'( :'(     Have windows XP but it isn't on the f drive, didn't see the point in having an OS for what 'was!!!!!' storage!
    Tried the previous config but it wont go back to sat afternoon.....only sat eve! tried sys restore, no joy!
    When i go into the f drive properties it doesnt show anything....no amount of hard drive capacity or anything but it does recognise what the actual make of drive it is. Used space & free space says 0 bytes!
    The file system it says it's using is RAW???? On startup it says it's NTFS?
    The device status is that it's working properly!...which it isn't!
    I'm not sure if this is entirely childs fault, as a couple of times lately when we went to f drive it asked us if we want to format, it was already formatted so we clicked no. If  he clicked yes i assume that it wouldn't still be asking.
    Incidently i left him alone with it coz i didn't know he was that sort of boy! Plus it's in the lounge! Will password to to the max in future. ;D
    He's also my son......so as far as i'll always be concerned.......'sun will always shine from his behind!!!' :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »
    Getting the RAW message is a VERY bad sign! If this data is important, contact a data recovery service before you do anything to this drive if the data is important. It's not cheap, though.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=data+recovery+service&btnG=Google+Search