Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer isn't booting up at all--Somebody Help Pl  (Read 2773 times)

eventhescars

Computer isn't booting up at all--Somebody Help Pl
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »
Okay here's the deal...

My computer isn't booting up. I turn it on, it powers on, the dvd drive seems to function, but nothing else. Nothing from the monitor, keyboard,ormouse. It seems to just stop after a few seconds. The computer I have is a custom built one I bought brand new off of ebay less than two months ago. It's a Celeron D 3.06Ghz, p4 motherboard, 512 mb ddr400 pc3200 ram, Radeon 9250 128mb agp8x video card, and a quantum fireball 40gb hard drive. I'm running windows XP on it.

the strange thing is that the computer that I had previous to this one did the exact same thing... I figured it was the motherbard so I bought this new one. Theonly things that the old computer and new computer have in common are the monitor, keobard and mouse, and hard drive.

I have unplugged the monitor to see if tha twas the problem, but it still didn't boot. I tried to switchout the hard drive with an older one, that didn't fix it. I tried unplugging everything besides the power supply, but still nothing. I tried a new surge protector, but to no avail. I am at my wit's end, I don't know what else to try. I don't have a warranty, and like I said, I bought this on ebay so I can't exactly return it. Does anyone have any idea at all what I can try??? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Unity

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer isn't booting up at all--Somebody Hel
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »
When you turn on the computer does it load regular? ex. the light blinks when it is loading or it just remains the same. Second was your computer getting enough ventilation. Did you install any new software or hardware recently? Did you try removing the computer battery and let everything reset on its own?

Midian

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:29:55 AM »
I am here for the same problem! My Entire Computer Powers on, fans, cd drive, leds. But the Bios Does not load. in fact, the monitor doesnt turn on either! this is a custum build computer that i have used before and i dont know what the problem could be. i tried replacing the battery, resetting the jumpers on the motherboard, and i Still can't figure out what is wrong!!??

Unity, have you tried resetting the CMOS jumpers?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
Well. it seems we have 2 posters here, which can be confusing that the problems may not be as similar as they sound. Kind of confusing.  :-/

Let's talk power supply. Are they new? What brand? What wattage? Did you assemble the system or did it arrive not working?

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:56:09 AM »
    Its a case of elimination I would first check the psu.

Try reseating your ram. if you have more then one stick take one out, or try different slot.

When you say its on for a few seconds, does it then shut off. Try swap out your graphics card.

Failing the above Check the cpu, heatsink fan. and failing that i suspect its to do with the mainboard.
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 05:02:17 AM by Frankie »

eventhescars

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 06:47:34 AM »
    When you turn on the computer does it load regular? ex. the light blinks when it is loading or it just remains the same. Second was your computer getting enough ventilation. Did you install any new software or hardware recently? Did you try removing the computer battery and let everything reset on its own?

When I turn it on, the lights come on, the fans come on... but it just stops the boot sequence. The computer was definitely getting enough ventilation.. I havne't installed any new software or hardware... and I have no idea how to remove a computer battery....

I have tried to swap out the graphics card, but that didn't work either. I can try the ram thing... have no idea how to check the cpu.

The frustrating thing is that the computer has worked fine for almost 2 months. I havne't had a single problem... I used it yesterday morning, shut it off and went to work... came home and tried to turn it on and that's when this whole problem happened. I don't know if I should just trash it and buy another, or what.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm going to try the few things that you guys suggested and see how they work, and I'll report back.

Unity

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 06:53:33 AM »
    The computer battery is that small circle silver battery on the motherboard it contains your COMOS settings. just take it out and unplug your power supply. Always unplug your power supply when servicing and wait about 2 minutes to reset the motherboard settings. You can also try removing the CPU and fan and check for dust.

To remove and check the cpu push the silver bar down and pull it alittle forward then pull it up that should loosen the CPU allowing you to remove the fan and the CPU.

Are you using 512 Ram as 256 x2 or one RAM slot of 512?

Mad_Monarch

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:25:23 AM »
    Didn't my post the last few days ago have this exact same problem?.....That makes 3 people within a week having this problem, is it that common?

I'm swapping my PSU tonight to see if that fixes my problem, I'll keep updated in this post to save space.

Midian

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
    i have tried taking out the battery and the ram,but to no avail. one thing i have noticed is that when i had my 32mb vid card plugged in, the cpu fan didnt work, but when i swapped it for my 128mb vid card just now, the cpu fan does work. does that make any sense at all? the bigger vid card should take more power right? any more ideas would be appreciated.

and unity, dont forget the cmos jumpers, that usually solves the problem.

eventhescars

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 02:41:35 PM »
    I probably sound like an idiot here.. but what are CMOS jumpers? Also, I couldn't get the battery out.

Doh!

Unity

Mad_Monarch

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 12:17:28 PM »
    Swapped the power supply and now the computer is working, unfortunately, installed a new Mobo/CPU/Graphics Card, so now the computer is yelling at me for changing everything and not reinstalling the OS.

Midian

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
    on your motherboard there is a spot that has 3 pins(golden). sometimes it will say 'CMOS' right next to it. look in your motherboard/PC's manual for a jumper that will reset the CMOS.  A jumper is a small piece of plastic with a strip of metal attached to connect two of the three pins at a time.If you can't find it in the manual, look on your motherboard and find the battery. There should be a jumper with three (3) pins directly adjacent to the battery.

To reset the CMOS , move the jumper to the 2-3 position if it is currently 1-2, or 1-2 if it is currently 2-3, then turn on the system, wait a few seconds, then turn the power off. Now, move the jumper back to the original pins.

some computers are "jumperless" so you might not have them, but usually most computers do. here is a picture. the jumper is connected to the pins 1+2, so to reset them, take off the jumper and put it on the 2+3 pins.

http://www.computerhope.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/jumpers.gif

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
    Not all motherboards have jumpers for this. I would hazard a guess that most prefab system (Dell,etc.) don't. THey do all have CMOX batteries which can be easily removed (usually).