Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Power; Computer won't turn on!  (Read 3166 times)

ville01

No Power; Computer won't turn on!
« on: February 05, 2006, 07:17:09 AM »
Ok I know this sounds ridiculous, but after kind of a harsh shut down last week, the computer will not turn on anymore. I checked the power strip - its fine. I plugged it into an alternate outlet - nothing. I bought a new power cord (thinking I blew it out!) - and still no juice! The green light in the back flickers a bit but won't stay lit. What happened?! And more importantly how do I fix it?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: No Power; Computer won't turn on!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »
What do you mean by "harsh shutdown"? Also, it sounds like your power supply has just gone bad. Gather information such as the power supply wattage, etc. and go buy a new one.

Flame

ville01

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 08:28:40 AM »
Well, just a shutdown that was forced bc I had just installed some software updates.

I have read your response as well as other "FAQ" on websites, and it seems like I will need to replace the Power Supply - but what exactly does this mean?

Essentially, right now, I have nothing plugged into the unit, I have it plugged into a wall outlet, and when I insert the power cord, the LED flickers quickly and then nothing.

Any help is appreciated!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:06:05 AM »
A power supply replacement is the first step. if you open your case you will see a metal box where the power cord plugs in. That is what you have to replace. On most systems it is held in by 4 screws on the bacl of thte case, and then cables plug into the items that require power - motherboard, drives, etc.

If you could post your motherboard or computer make/model we might be able to offer more specific help and suggestions. if it is a Compaq, Dell,etc. pre-fab system, the power supplies can be proprietary, which means you can''t just go to BestBuy and buy one off the shelf. It is also a case of you get what you pay for. an el cheapo $10 is not a soluion for long, if at all.  ;)

ville01

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:58:06 AM »
Yeah this is a 6 year old HP Pavilion desktop. Not the greatest machine. At this point, I'd love to get it working long enough to back everything up one last time. IPOD was connected to it, too... if I got a new computer, would my IPOD sync and load up my songs to the new computer?

As for the motherboard, I dont know the details for, it was upgraded 2 years ago when the sound and cable connection wasnt working.

I am not sure I could do this replacement by myself. How much does it typically cost if I had someone else do it?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »
Post your model number for the machine.

The replacement should only take about 10 minutes. A quality power supply is $50 approximately (alhough some cost much more). You have to know the model # of the machine to see what you need and what it can take to get the price for a real HP part.

I would go to a local computer store rather than the Geek Squad, but that's just me. you can call around and get quotes for changing a power supply. If you have a geeky friend, just buy him dinner!  ;D

You could always get the data off the hard drive. It is not in jeopardy with this repair.

So we will wait to hear about the model number.   ;)

ville01

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 12:18:27 PM »
Its an HP Pavilion 7855. Thanks so much for the help!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 12:36:58 PM »
That is a 185 watt special form factor power supply on that unit. Best Buy definitely does not stock that.
I don't see a way to order it online from HP, but you could call them.

Here is the basic info on that system:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/HP-Pavilion-7855-21843-S-1-2

Here are some things to look at:

http://www.affordablesurplus.com/hp-pavilion-power-supply.asp

http://www.usereasy.com/product_6286.html

dugganfam

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 12:52:54 PM »
I have the same problem with a compaq computer.  It is too old to waste repair money on but I would like to trnasfer the HD data to my other computer or external HD.  Is this possible w/o power?

The computer is a Compaq presario #4403
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 12:59:33 PM by dugganfam »

Peter

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 01:22:28 PM »
I have the same problem with a compaq computer.  It is too old to waste repair money on but I would like to transfer the HD data to my other computer or external HD.  Is this possible w/o power?

The computer is a Compaq presario #4403

Have you tried slaving the drive to your other computer?

There is a handy USB device listed on the link below for doing that which maybe you can get where you live.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 01:23:04 PM by Peter »

dugganfam

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I have not tried slaving to my other PC.  Is this where you plug into the IDE cable and identify as a second drive?  Is there a source for step by step instructions?

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 02:12:08 PM »
Dugganfam,

It's best to start your own thread rather than hijack someone else's, but here you go:

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/29084/Add_a_Second_Hard_Drive.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6030_install-second-hard.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 02:13:08 PM by GX1_Man »

dugganfam

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
Thanks for the help and tip