Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crashes after Boot  (Read 3552 times)

badbrains

Computer Crashes after Boot
« on: February 06, 2006, 07:19:32 PM »
Hello. My computer has started crashing about 1 or 2 minutes after windows opens, every time i start in the past few weeks. it either restarts or freezes, usually restarts. i then can't start it back up for a couple of minutes or it will crash during boot. it also crashes in safe mode.

does anybody recognize this problem?

afew more specifics -

i learned i can throw it into standy a minute after it starts before it crashes, then bring it out a couple minutes later and use the next minute to do something, then repeat process.

ive scanned and cleaned the registry.

i reinstalled with the xp cd, and it didnt crash once during the reinstall. then it ran beautifully for a couple hours, then started crashing again. now i cant really keep it booted long enough to throw it into standby.

I have an emachines t1400,
with windows xp
1.4 ghz intel celeron processor
128 mb sdram
40 gig hard drive

can anybody help me?

thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer Crashes after Boot
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 07:36:35 PM »
Hmmm, you may be a hopeless case, seeing that you don't even know the correct specs for your system.  I Googled for info on this unit and the first two sources both said that computer has:
Athlon 1600+ processor (1.4ghz clock), 256Mb SDRAM

badbrains

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 03:00:25 AM »
wait, back up a minute... i accidentally put in the wrong model number... its a t1440 not a t1400... look that up and youll see according specifications.

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:47:03 AM »
    Does it give any error before crashing.  :P
    Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »
      XP would not be happy with 128MBs of ram.
      Try turning off automatic reboot on system failure.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:08:02 PM »

badbrains

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »
      no, it does not give an error. yes 128mb of ram makes xp drag pretty bad. i already turned off system reboot after error, though, and it kept up the problem. thanks for the site ill see if i can manage to do any of those things.

badbrains

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 09:29:19 PM »
       :-[ ok, if anyones still out there opting to help me, i have a new development in the problem. today i booted my computer, then threw it right into standy. it froze right before it completely went into standy, where the screen is off but the computers not off yet. i couldnt turn it off by hitting he power button (even for 10 secs), so i unplugged it. well, computer has a *censored* good memory, cuz now it turns on and goes right to that frozen standy point every time i plug it back in... so i cant actually turn it off... anybody know how to trick a computer out of this permafreeze?

anyway i opened er up to unplug internal things to see if that would turn it off, and i noticed when i turn it on, the fan on the main board is not coming on. maybe this is just the specific point its frozen in standby that the fan wouldnt be on? i know theres power going to the fan cuz it kicks for a second whenever i unplugg the computer... i know this is getting a little hopeless, but any ideas?