Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown Device in Device Manager  (Read 5411 times)

plumbum

Unknown Device in Device Manager
« on: February 08, 2006, 03:55:57 AM »
Hi There

Last night I was trying to sort out a sound driver problem and, in add remove programs, managed to uninstall all NVidia drivers.  :-/

Hadn't realised what I had done until I rebooted and after the WinXP splash screen got no display at all.

Been in and out of Safe Mode trying to reinstall the GEForce 2 drivers. Managed to reinstall them but still the same problem when I boot in normal mode. When I looked in Device Manager, GeForce 2 drivers are under an "unknown" category (there is no "Display Adapters" category). I managed to remove the category rebooted and Win detected new Video Adapter, reinstalled but still the same problem ("unknown" in Device Manager and no display on boot to naormal mode).

I can boot into Windows with VGA (via F8 at bootup) and have a good choice of resolutions but display is slow.

I have reinstalled the latest motherboard drivers.

I am running an Asus A7N266-VM, running WinXP home SP2.

Please help. This is driving me round the bend.  

Thanks

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    Re: Unknown Device in Device Manager
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:40:29 PM »
    Can you use the option Update Driver and use internet for this?  Automatically detect and install...
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!