Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinDVD 7 - error message = Create Overlay Failed  (Read 3836 times)

springbok

WinDVD 7 - error message = Create Overlay Failed
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:40:37 AM »
Hi again!
I'm running XP Home, v 2002, Service pack 2.
I just upgraded from windvd 4 to windvd 7. (powerDVD) It looks impressive but whenever I try to play a dvd I get the message -
"Create Overlay Failed - please lower your screeen resolution and color depth and try again"
I tried that but no luck. I was later told that Messenger could be causing the problem, but I don't have messenger installed.
It's driving me nuts, and I can't even watch a nice movie to calm my nerves -   :)
One more thing, I recently also installed "AnyDVD" - could that make a difference, friends say it shouldn't?
I tried running AnyDVD in Windows 98 / me compatibility mode but again, no luck.
All help / advice is very welcome, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:40:27 AM by springbok »

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: WinDVD 7 - error message = Create Overlay Fail
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 02:43:03 PM »
    Well guy try this one:
    right click on Desktop and select properties then select Setting Tab and press Advanced button. A dialog will appear, select the Troubleshoot tab. Here lower the Hardware acceleration and then try to run DVD again.
    DW
    do take care of you and others

springbok

Re: WinDVD 7 - error message = Create Overlay Fail
    « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:51:22 PM »
    Thanks for that, sorry about the late reply, just back from a trip.  :)
    I'll check it and come back, in the meantime I went back to PowerDVD 4 'til a solution is found.
    Seems a common prob too, as a Google search shows.