Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to partition/format hard drive  (Read 2786 times)

Deicide764

Unable to partition/format hard drive
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:29:02 PM »
I have a compaq deskpro 2000 with a 2.1GB hard drive.  The computer has an Intel Pentium MMX processor. I got this computer a week ago and I having problems with viewing the partitions on the hard drive.  When ever I boot with a start up disk, get to the command prompt and type "fdisk", I receive an error saying "No fixed disk present." When I tried to get into the BIOS, it doesn't let me. After pressing F10 it just has "Starting MS-DOS..." on the top left corner and it stays in that same screen.  When I let the computer boot it goes to a screen where it has "Starting Windows 95..." on the top left corner. Then beneath that it says "Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)" What ever I type on this screen it will prompt me the same message again and again.  I can't view or delete existing partitions on the hard drive because fdisk wont' work and I can't get into the BIOS to view information about the system because pressing F10 key won't work.  What can be the problem? If I try installing another hard drive, would this make a difference? Thanks...

GX1_Man

Re: Unable to partition/format hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 04:07:45 AM »
Whatever happened prior to all of this may provide some help.

The 2000 had a diagnostic diskette series (2 disks I believe) that could be downloaded which needed to be used to set up components, do diagnostics, etc. and create a diagnostics partition on the hard drive. Search the compaq web site for these. You have to make sure the hardware is functioning correctly and set up properly to proceed.  ;)