Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe Mode worked, but Normal doesn't?  (Read 2368 times)

Tutsumi

Safe Mode worked, but Normal doesn't?
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:04:28 PM »
Okay, I run a Windows XP Pro SP2 computer as my main home computer.

My problem could have started when I pressed my keyboard's Power button for my computer to shut off, which it did.  Later that night I came back out and tried to turn it back on.  It came as far as the Loading screen (the one with Windows XP on it with the moving bar on the bottom of the page) and it just stays there.

When I restart it from that point and wait, I get the option for Safe Mode.  I try Safe mode and it works, at least twice.  Now that I had my computer try to restore itself, Safe Mode doesn't even work anymore...it just just sticks at Mup.sys and doesn't move.

Sylent

Re: Safe Mode worked, but Normal doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:38:29 PM »
alright, first try and reset CMOS if you can then reboot in safe mode. If you get that far, click on my computer and right click on your hard drive (C: drive) , then to shared and make sure that you dont have it set as private or anything like that. see if that works

Tutsumi

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »
That's how it's already made.  I have two accounts on it, three if you account Admin.

Sylent

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
So your drive(s) arn't set at private or anything? Cause this is exactly how it happend for me and my mom's laptop....It had XP pro and it would boot up to the screen where XP Loads and the bar goes across the bottom, then it would just start over again.....so what i did was i manually turned it off, disconnected the power supply, waited a few minutes, then reconnected and tryed again.....i booted up in safe mode and was snooping around her computer to find the cause...i right clicked on her C: drive and went to properties then to security or sharing, something like that, and i noticed that her drive was set as  "Private to All" so i changed it and now it boots up fine. so make sure that your drives are set to the wrong settings.

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
You'll find that the driver that's loaded after mup.sys is failing. Can you boot to a repair console?