Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What the *censored* is wrong with my freaking network...  (Read 2417 times)

Giga

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Giga
    What the *censored* is wrong with my freaking network...
    « on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
    I don't understand the problem with it.

Awhile ago I came here talking about how I have a 4pc home network, some wired, some wireless. I explained how my router keeps spiking and disconnecting for no reason.

Well, anyhow, I got a new router. The router was pretty good at first (Microsoft MN700) but again, now it's spiking and disconnecting again. (Security is on this time.)

The computers on wireless seems to have the problem more often.

For some reason, when the computer starts up, sometimes it says I'm NOT connected but clearly I can surf the web.

The thing that has been annoying me most is that according to my network places, I have 4/6 bars of signal with the router yet I CAN'T connect to it. It likes to randomly kick me off and I can never get back in until a long wait.

Perfect signal...connecting...dead.

P.S. Is this normal? I have a netgear usb wireless network adapter in my room and according to my network places, there is FOUR wireless networks around my house but my router/DS/other wireless computer can't detect them anywhere on the house. I HIGHLY doubt there is 3 wireless networks around me, either that or my adapter can receive signals from FAR far away.
    Windows XP - PD 2.8 Dual Core - 1GB of RAM - Radeon x300 SE

GX1_Man

Re: What the *censored* is wrong with my freaking networ
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:24:02 PM »
    Check them out. They are probably on the same channel (6) as you. Interference can cause lots of problems. Change to another channel.

Giga

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Giga
      « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 08:26:04 PM »
      Care to ellaborate? Are the computers interfering with each other or are the networks interfering with each other?

Thanks.
      Windows XP - PD 2.8 Dual Core - 1GB of RAM - Radeon x300 SE

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 08:47:12 PM »
      The nnetworks are on the same channel  battling for the same frequency.  Change your's to another channel in your router setup. Try channel 8, then set one of the wireless to channnel 8 and see if that is a better connection. If so, change them all.

The computers could be interfering if more than one has the same name on the network.
      « Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:48:20 PM by GX1_Man »

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 08:51:20 PM »
        It's kinda like walkie-talkies. If two sets are on the same channel, it can cause you to hear the other conversations, except it tends to diminish your conversation. See, sometimes I can pick up a neighbor's wireless router for the same reason (Thought the signal to there is very weak, and not worth the trouble since I have my own.)

Good luck. :)
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 03:55:26 AM »
        Change the SSID of your router to something unique and memorable. That way, any nearby networks won't confuse things. Don't forget that you must use encryption on any wireless network.
        « Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:56:19 AM by Backdated »