Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: basic hard drive questions  (Read 2000 times)

heffus2

basic hard drive questions
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:12:21 PM »
1) if i install a new hard drive, does it replace my old one or work alongside it? 2)is this something that i can install myself? 3) will i need to re-install my software? i'm using windows xp, amd sempron, 256 mb ram. while i'm at it, can i self-install more ram?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:16:40 PM by heffus2 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: basic hard drive questions
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:29:08 AM »
    heffus2.......
    1) if i install a new hard drive, does it replace my old one or work alongside it?

That is entirely up to you . You can leave the existing HD as it is and install the new drive as a slave . ( the existing drive would be the master) Both HDs should be on the same IDE ribbon.

2)is this something that i can install myself?

Yes it is.

3) will i need to re-install my software? i'm using windows xp, amd sempron, 256 mb ram. while i'm at it, can i self-install more ram?

If you choose to leave the existing drive as the master and the new drive as the slave ....then you will not have to reinstall your software ......
        Yes.... you can install the additional ram at the same time ....... just be sure that the new ram matchs the old rams specifications and use care when handling the ram ........

If you are unsure about any of the above please ask  before proceeding.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:30:25 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

heffus2

Re: basic hard drive questions
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 11:14:58 AM »
    thanks.