Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recommend HD clone program, please.  (Read 2400 times)

funkykev

Recommend HD clone program, please.
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:36:17 AM »
Looking to clone my old HD instead reinstalling everything on the new one.  Any good idiot-proof freeware for this task?  Sorry if this post is cross-topical...couldn't decide between Hardware and Software.  Please advise.

PC Pentium 2.0GHz, one large partition
Win XP
80G and 120G HD's......anything I missed?

Thanks,
KL

GX1_Man

Re: Recommend HD clone program, please.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 03:32:11 AM »
If you buy a retail drive, the drive maker usually includes such a program. If an OEM  product (drive only), you usually don't get this. If you already have the drive, check on the manufacturer's site.

Backdated

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 07:07:01 AM »
If it's a Maxtor drive, you'd probably want Maxtor's MaxBlast 4.  For Western Digital, you'd probably either need Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows or Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for DOS.  I don't know the names of similar tools from Seagate, Samsung, etc, but they surely have such tools.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 07:07:38 AM by soybean »

funkykev

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 12:49:34 AM »
Seagate has a utility with retail purchase.  Problem is that it doesn't explicitly tell you that you can duplicate/clone your old drive.  You have to get into the software and see what the next window's options are and then viola!...it happens but still doesn't present it as such.  just says "copy files".  i wasn't sure that it was truly cloning the drive until i saw it copying my music files.  FYI.  thanks for the help folks.

kevin