Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE6.0 says "page cant display" for HTTPS  (Read 3407 times)

ChrisC

IE6.0 says "page cant display" for HTTPS
« on: August 17, 2004, 03:36:45 PM »
 ???
When I try to go to a page that is secure (https://) the page will not display.

Running a Dell system with WindowsXP Home and using a free MSN E-Mail and Internet.  When I click on the MSN e-mail icon and then enter user and password and submit, the problem occurs.  Happens with any site that needs to be logged onto.

I updated her AV and did a full system check.  Then I closed ZoneZlarm.  Then I ran AdAware6.0.  Then I checked with the ISB (White Mountain Online) and they are not restricting any sites.  And still the problem exists.

MSN phone support for free accounts suggested deleting all cookies, temporaryy files, history and changing settings back to default.  The problem persists.

Dell says to call MSN, but I rather think that it's not an MSN or MS problem and is instead some magic setting that I haven't run into yet.

I looked thru ComputerHope and found that somone had submitted this same problem this past May.  But no fix was found other than what I've already tried.

I'm not able to test this problem under MSN Internet access because I can't log onto MSN.  So, my testing is thru IE6.0.

This system is at a friends home and the problem has existed for about a week.  I asked if anyone else had been using the system about then and grandchildren probably had.  But I can't find any settings that might have been made.

This user has allways used the free MSN and she is now agreeable to going to IE6.0 for Internet and e-mail, but she needs to rescue her address book and e-mail from MSN.  Since she can get into her stuff on her daughters computer, we may have to do the rescue from the MSN (virus :-X !) on the daughters system, but it would still be nice to find a fix for this.

merlin_2

Re: IE6.0 says "page cant display" for H
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 03:58:36 PM »
have you tried to repair ie6 in the add/remove section....in the  control panel...? have you been into tools /internet options /advanced ....scroll down the list security....see if the boxex are tick for ssl 2. or 3...or try another browser like firefox...

ChrisC

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:34:06 PM »
Merlin_2;

SSL2 and SSL3 are defaulted to checked and ssl1 is not checked on my laptop running Windows98se and using DSL.  I'll check this on her system tomorroe morning when I go over there again.

I don't know what those settings do??!!

Thanks for the response.

Chris

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 09:17:48 PM »
When you look at the advances settings, make sure "use PCT" and "use TLS" are both NOT checked. SSL2 and SSL3 are for encryption when you log into a secure sever. TLS used to serve the same purpose - it is a M$ thing - and there is not more than 1 in 1,000,000 sites that use it anymore but it can prevent you from logging in to a secure site.

propluspusher

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 04:30:14 PM »
help i have same problem i tried what you said but still no better! I am on win98se recently installed firewall could this be the problem, also one thing i was told to try was when on ie check help,int opt, cypher bit ahould be 128 bit but mine is only 0 bit so downloaded encryption pack but it stil shows o bit!
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!