Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OE6 Can't delete messages in inbox and sent folder  (Read 4985 times)

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
    OE6 Can't delete messages in inbox and sent folder
    « on: March 10, 2006, 11:22:53 AM »
    I am unable to delete messages in my inbox and sent folder in Outlook Express 6. I am on 98SE 256 RAM. This started when I attempted to delete the messages in my sent folder. There were quite a few messages in that folder. It ran for a long time and the HDD was not working. When I closed OE, an error message indicated "Messages could not be deleted". I rebooted and was able to delete all messages in both the sent folder and inbox. The problem keeps returning and I need to reboot to correct the problem temporarily. I recovered to previous restore point with no change. I ran registry repair pro and the problem persisted. Any help will be appreciated.
    Cojack

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: OE6 Can't delete messages in inbox and sent fo
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 10:47:52 AM »
    Hmmm, since Win 98SE does not have the Restore feature that was introduced in Windows ME and continued in later versions of Windows and does not store Restore Points, how did you "recover to previous restore point"?

Try this to fix OE.  Go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs.  Find Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, select it, and click the Add/Remove button.  You shoud see a panel with three options.  Select the Repair Internet Explorer option and proceed.  This repair procedure includes OE.  

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »
      First of all, regarding my restore point. My IBM computer came with Configsafe, which is a program that allows me to recover my computer to a restore point. I did what you mentioned and repaired IE. I just went into OE and was deleting messages in my inbox. Then I attempted to delete messages in my sent folder and I couldn't. I then went back to my inbox and couldn't delete messages there either. If I reboot the problem is corrected. I know, just reboot if I want to delete my messages. That's fine but it doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks for your help. If you can think of anything else, let me know.
      Cojack

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »
      Take a look at the options under Tools, Options, Maintenance, Clean Up Now (button).  I would definitely Compact and see whether that helps.  I'm not clear on exactly what the other options there do, but I think one or more of them may also be needed in your situation.  

Here's a Microsoft reference which may help: The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express.

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:50:43 PM »
        I think I found the problem! I installed a little program I got off the web called IE Maximiser. It was the only thing I could think of that changed. What it does is opens all windows in IE and OE to full screen on start. I uninstalled it and I haven't had the problem since...........Hopefully!

Thanks for your help!
        Cojack

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
          Didn't find it. It's Baaaaack!
          Cojack

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:59:10 AM »
          Take a look at the options under Tools, Options, Maintenance, Clean Up Now (button).  I would definitely Compact and see whether that helps.  I'm not clear on exactly what the other options there do, but I think one or more of them may also be needed in your situation.  

Here's a Microsoft reference which may help: The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express.
          You haven't responded to this.

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 06:06:30 AM »
            Sorry about that. I performed the clean, compact, delete in the options menu. I am checking the info you gave me regarding "File corruption in Outlook Express". When I thought it was gone, I assumed it was the IE Maximiser. Now I'm back to this help info.
            Cojack