Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Share files between HD's??  (Read 2178 times)

Shoma

Share files between HD's??
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:59:44 PM »
I've just installed a new HD on my computer and I was wondering how to share files between the two.  Say I've installed a game on on the slave.  Is there anyway I can run the game on the slave off the master??

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Share files between HD's??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:37:29 PM »
You question does not make sense.  If you installed the software after you installed the second/new hard drive and you installed the software by following the normal installation procedure except that you changed the path for the location of the installed program files, then Windows knows where the program files are located and you can simply start the program in the normal way (Programs menu, desktop shortcut, etc.).

Since you question does not make sense, I'm wondering whether I've mis-understood you?  Installing a program on your second hard drive is not what I would call "share files between the two".  But, you can certainly copy files from one hard drive to the other via My Computer or a Windows Explorer window.

Shoma

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:08:04 AM »
Well,  I installed CS Source to my slave because there wasn't enough room on my current HD.  The thing is it wouldn't let me change the install path so I had disconnect my master HD and run the computer with just my slave.  Then reconnected the master and started my computer back up.  The only thing is, it wont let me run CS Source with the master HD but if I disconnect it, and just run the computer with the slave it'll run Source.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:37:08 AM »
Well, obviously, you have an OS on both drives.  You must have an OS on the new HD or else you could not simply discconnect your master/original drive and boot from the new drive.  And, by the way, you did say this but you must also be changing your second drive from slave to master when you do this.  Right?

What OS do you have installed on both drives?  Have you thought about setting up a dual-boot configuration?  That would allow you to choose which drive to boot from during startup and eliminate the need to physically disconnect a drive and change master/slave settings.  Or, since you have an OS installed on the new drive, why not just make it your master drive and the old drive the slave?

As far as your original question about running CS, I'm under the impression some games can be run by merely clicking on the .exe file.  In other words, they do not have to be "installed" under a conventional install procedure that creates entries in Windows Registry.  Is that right?  

I'm not a gamer, but I have a friend who once ran a game on my computer in this manner, if I recall correctly.  I surmise this is the premise behind your question.  Is that right?  I'm not familiar enough about CS to give you an answer.  

IT-Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:39:05 AM »
Wow... I could be sooo cruel with this... :)

OK... You apparently have two hard drives loaded with a version of windows on each, you installed your game on the second drive because you needed the space, but now you want to run the game from the OS of the other drive...  Am I correct?  If so, then the answer is no.  You can only boot to one disc or the other as the OS.  And since the game is not installed on the primary drive, it will not play from there.  I'm suprised that there was no option to change the install location...  So why can't you just make your second disc (with the OS installed) the primary and then slave the other one?

Oops.. you got it in before me... :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:40:08 AM by IT-Guy »

Shoma

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »
Wow thats alot of help from both of you.  And thanks for not being cruel.  The best way to learn about something you don't know is to ask right?? I'll set up that dual boot config.  and yes, I was having to disconnect the ide cable changing the slave to master.  But enough of that.  Both of you answered my questions with more than enough info. Thanks :)