Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTDRL is missing / hal.dll was missing or corrupt  (Read 2597 times)

stumble

Topic Starter

Beginner

• me(mother) and my daughter (left)
  • Experience: Experienced
NTDRL is missing / hal.dll was missing or corrupt
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:14:33 AM »
I ran System Mechanic last night and this morning I rebooted to make the changes stick.  When I rebooted my coputer said NTDRL is missing.

I went here http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm and downladed the fix but my luck - 1. Windows could not start because file "<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll was missing or corrupt

I tried reloading Windows Xp Home again (thinking maybe something changed since the last time I reloaded Windows this morning.  Now it says Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD.

Wel, it's the replacement Cd they sent me when my burner ate the old one!

I can get into safe mode and until now I cold get into Window Repair.  I did copy i386/ntdetec and i386/ntdecect.com into C, but the firect I overwrote and it couldn'd do the second.

I could scrub the drive with System Mechanic but them I would loose the 30 or so movies I downloaded that have been wating for the RMSd Lasonic hard drive to return from RMS status.  I would really not like to lose all those.    

So what do you thing?  Is there hope, or do I scrub and start all over?

Sandy in FL

Backdated

Re: NTDRL is missing / hal.dll was missing or corr
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »
If this is a single partition/single OS system and you can boot to a recovery console, enter the following and hit enter after each line:

attrib -h -r -s c:\boot.ini
del c:\boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot

You may need to use the 6 diskette boot set.

Please throw away System Mechanic and other such destructive weapons.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:08:03 PM by Backdated »