Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Connect Ethernet !!  (Read 1928 times)

shoon81

Can't Connect Ethernet !!
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:14:11 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've recently got a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router.
So I plugged it all in through the USB and set up this PC with the internet.
So, i then bought a Ethernet Card and some Ethernet cable for the upstairs PC i want to get online aswell. I fitted in the ethernet card and connected the ethernet wire to the router and to the card. After this i dont know what to do. The upstairs PC says "Aquireing Network Address" and gets no further. The downstairs PC has detected the Ethernet (Local Area Connection 5) but always says its unplugged :-/. Me and my friend have been trying to get my 2nd PC connected to the internet for 2 days now and have still go no further in success than day 1.
Just as a note, the light on the router that says Ethernet is light up so the router knows its there, it just wont let the 2nd PC have internet  :(

Please help me with this problem,
Shoon81
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:19:16 AM by shoon81 »

pcdoc4christ

Re: Can't Connect Ethernet !!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
The router probably has a built-in firewall.  Is there a network setup CD that came with the router?  Installing this on each PC may configure the router to allow the computers to connect to the Internet.  

Doc

shoon81

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:31:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply, i used your advice but still nothing happens :-/

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:47:06 AM »
Did your Internet service provider send you the CD and the router?

How is the router connected to the phone jack and to the two computers?

Do you have the documentation that came with the router or is there a document on the CD or in the Windows start menu with instructions on how to setup the router?

Have you tried restarting both computers?

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »
There is no need for drivers for ethernet and with this router in particular, it's better to use static IPs.
You can access the router setup by entering [highlight]http://192.168.1.1[/highlight] in a browser address bar. (Simply clicking the highlighted link will get you there). The user/password combo is admin/admin.
Set your browser to "Never dial a connection".
Set your NIC up as follows:
IP 192.168.1.3
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 192.168.1.1 (Change this later to your ISPs DNS settings)

These settings will get you up and running for now but there are some excellent tutorials and ready made "recipes" for this router available [highlight]here[/highlight].
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:07:37 AM by Backdated »