Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you host with a shared IP?  (Read 5726 times)

Carolyn M.

How do you host with a shared IP?
« on: August 20, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »
I have a problem. I'm trying to host a private Ragnarok Online server, but it won't because of an IP problem.

See I have 3 computers at home, but only 2 IP adresses, so me and my brothers comp have to share one of the IP. Because we are conected to a rooter, the IP dosn't go to the comp, its stays in the rooter. Because of that its imposible to host in anything.

So can anyone tell me how to host with a shared IP adresse?

Raptor

Re: How do you host with a shared IP?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »
You should be able to give each computer a seperate MAC adress and a different IP that is assigned by the router. This should enable you to host.

Unless your computer is connected to your brothers computer and his directly to the router. This could be the case if the Router only has two ports.

I suggest you look into the manual of your ISP and Router how to properly configure it.

2k dummy

Re: How do you host with a shared IP?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 09:15:07 PM »
You just need to know the ports the server requires. Then go to the router setup and use port forwarding to send those ports to the machine with the server. If you intend to give out an address for the server, you will need a permanent (static) IP address provided by your ISP.