Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My ethernet doesnt work, can you fix it?  (Read 5800 times)

violinplayer

My ethernet doesnt work, can you fix it?
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
Hi!
I was hoping to hook my laptop up for wireless internet. I have been using cable for my internet, but I did not realize that my ethernet on my desktop did not work. I have been using my desktop in the usb slot on the modem, but when I hook it into the ethernet slot, nothing happens. I do not believe that my ethernet works on my desktop. Is there any way to fix it? or another way to get wireless internet on my laptop, or do I have to give up hope of wireless internet?  :'( :'(
I hope somebody can help me.
Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: My ethernet doesnt work, can you fix it?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 05:33:58 PM »
Do you have a wireless card in your laptop? Do you have a wireless router? These two things are required.

violinplayer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »
Yes, I do have a wireless card, and the router, I also have a wireless access point. I remember when I first got the cable on my desktop, they said that the ethernet did not work, but I had totally forgot about that. :(

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 05:45:22 PM »
I have a wireless router. I do not need an access point. What make and model is this? A wireless router should have up to 4 ports for wired connections. If your ethernet card on your computer doesn't work you can add another. I guess I am not clear on what your problem is and what equipment you are using (and why).

violinplayer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:55:19 PM »
I have a linksys etherfast cable/ dsl router model: befsr41. it does have 4 ports for wired connections.
I don't know anything about computers. My friend gave me my first laptop, and sent me this stuff with it. The access point is a SMC EZ connect 802.11a wireless access point model: smc2755w. I never had my first laptop on the internet, so I have no idea how to hook it all up. :-/
I think that my desktop is the problem, because when I tried hooking an ethernet cable to just my desktop, and the modem, nothing happened, and I could not get internet on my desktop until I hooked it back up to the USB port. I have been mostly been trying to hook everything up from directions I have found on google.
Also, do you mean that there is an ethernet card in my desktop as well?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:57:23 PM by violinplayer »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 06:38:35 PM »
Ethernet on the desktop? Look back there and see. It will have one port, a little bigger than a phone connection, and usually a few small lights nest to the plug. You would then have to tell your computer to use that rather than USB, if that's what you want to do.

You can download Belarc Advisor (for free) to see what network card is in there or check in Device Manager. That will also let you see if it is configured properly.

What version of Windows? If XP then you can use internet connection wizard to get everything configured.

802.11a may be a problem. I have used B and G. You may just want to get a wirelss G router and forego all of this. $16 after rebate!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/getsetup.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1428
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:41:07 PM by GX1_Man »

violinplayer

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:59:43 PM »
I Have windows xp on both of my computers. The belarc advisor says: Network drives: none detected. Is that where it would tell me what network card is there?
Also, How would I tell my computer to use the ethernet instead of the USB? Ny using the internet connection wizard?
Will I need to install an ethernet card into my desktop to use the ethernet port, or should it already work?
If I get a new router, will I need a new wireless card to go with it?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:24:04 PM »
What wireless card do you have? It may be an "a" also. (I rather suspect it is.)

Newegg has you covered on that as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127149

Your onboard NIC, if present is under Communications, on the left hand side.

If not present:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833314101

(It doesn't all have to be D-link!)

violinplayer

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 05:32:55 AM »
My wireless card is also an 802.11a
under communications on the belarc advisor it says:SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
But, when I try to use the ethernet on just my desktop,it doesnt even work.
How do I tell it to use the ethernet?

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 05:53:48 PM »
It would be very wise to have a "wired" or ethernet connection from your desktop to the router. Setting up a router over wireless exclusively can be quite risky and a right pita!

If your desktop was built in the last 3 years or so, it will probably have an onboard NIC (Network card) and the socket will be near the USB etc ports as shown in the bottom insert (Next to the audio connectors):

If you don't have an onboard NIC, then you'll need an add-in card (Around UK£5):

You'll need to install the NIC drivers and set the computers to "Never Dial A Connection", set up the TCP/IP options for the NIC, set up the wireless and TCP/IP options on the laptop and set up the router and WAP.
This all sounds rather complicated I know, but believe me, it isn't.
When you have all the necessary components, post back and I'll take you through it in a step-by-step guide.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:03:26 PM by Backdated »

violinplayer

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »
It appears that I do have a built in nic. I am going to have my Dad try and help me tommorrow, and find out what I have, then I will post again when I need the step by step help. Will my 802.11a router and access point work OK, or do I have to get a new one?

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 07:03:55 PM »
If you do have a NIC, and it works correctly, and it has the driver loaded, and you have a cat5e cable connecting the computer and the router, that should solve the problem for that machine.

violinplayer

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 07:09:47 PM »
How do I know if it has the driver?
I have a cable, but I cannot say for sure if it is a cat5e cable. The cable I have says: verified catergory patch 5 cable. It also has lots of different numbers on it.

Backdated

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 07:29:15 PM »
The cable sounds good and you can check Control Panels Device Manager to see what hardware is installed.
If an onboard NIC is in place, it may be disabled via the BIOS. If that's the case, you'll need to re-enable it.

violinplayer

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 05:35:36 AM »
I cant find the device manager :-? I am using windows XP home edition.