Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not turn on  (Read 2159 times)

slacker

Computer will not turn on
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »
My computer was experiencing some issues over the weekend where it would report an error and either lock up or shut down.  I ran a virus scan (norton) but it did not report any errors

I shut the computer down without any issue last night.  This morning, it would not turn on. :-[

I have:
unplugged and plugged back in
verified the power supply is working
tried a new cord
unplugged every connection and plugged back in

I am looking for suggestions as to what I should do next.

The computer is an eMachines basic computer that is 3 years old.

Any help is appreciated.  Would love to the the machine running, or at least rescue the data from it.

Thanks,
Slacker

stallybanz

Re: Computer will not turn on
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »
hmmm...  sounds like a motherboard issue to me,,, can you try unplugging all the devices installed inside your pc including the processor and then plug all the devices back,, if it doesnt work probable cause would be the motherboard,,

fatali

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:04:44 AM »
What steps did you take to verify the power supply is indeed working?

slacker

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »
I only know that the power supply at the wall is working.  The power supply on the computer may not be - how would I test that?

s

fatali

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:36:52 PM »
There are multiple ways to test your powersupply. The easiest is as follows:

Plug your computer in and make sure that if the powersupply has a switch on it (usualy next to, under, or above where the power cord plugs into) that it is in the On position.  Then, make sure that the On/Off switch on the front of the computer is connected correctly. Try turning the system on.  If the fan in the power supply isn't spinning, there is a good chance that the power supply is bad.  Also, listen for any high pitched humming.  If the powersupply is also connected to the motherboard, look for any lights on the board or any of the expansion cards.

Try that and tell us what happens.