Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS checksum error problem persists  (Read 3570 times)

Raptor

CMOS checksum error problem persists
« on: August 22, 2004, 07:24:10 AM »
I recently installed a new Power Supply Unit. A 420 Watt Dual Fan Chieftec.

However, I have a Trust multiple wall socket with an on/off switch. If I keep it on, but turn my computer off, there will be no CMOS checksum error, but if I turn off the wall socket when my computer is turned off, there is a chance of a CMOS checksum error occuring

What could this indicate? According to this[/url  article it can indicate a faulty or bad BIOS battery. However, the battery is barely less than a year old.

I cannot seem to remove the battery, I once had to reset my BIOS and the battery would only be lifted up a few milimetres. This was enough to make it reset, but I couldn't peel it out.

It concerns a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro mainboard. Revision 1.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 08:39:38 AM by Raptor »

johnwill

Re: CMOS checksum error problem persists
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 10:17:04 AM »
Well, what you're describing is indeed the classic symptom of a bad battery.  You may have bent the battery holder where it's not making good contact.  To remove the battery, it's only necessary to pry the contact up a bit and just push the battery out the open side of the clip.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
I will look into doing so, then.

What if the battery decides to fail whilst the computer is turned on?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 01:34:31 PM »
maybe you need to flash the bios....and may not be the battery?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »
Both Backup BIOS and main BIOS are F14, which is the latest BIOS version for my mainboard.