Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: the browser you are using is rejecting cookies  (Read 6175 times)

davietich

the browser you are using is rejecting cookies
« on: August 22, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »
all of a sudden my internet settings have changed and i cant access certain sites- the message comes up with- 'the browser you are using is rejecting cookies '
i have checked the settings in internet options -privacy- and they are set correctly (sliding bar is at medium)
i a ???m using win xp - ie 6 and norton internet protection-firewall antivirus etc which was running fine until today!!!
anyone help please!!!
cheers
davie

merlin_2

Re: the browser you are using is rejecting cookies
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
download and scan with this >http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ also recheck firewall settings ..winxp/nis  if you have downloaded sp2 this also contains a firewall....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 12:50:51 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 01:26:32 PM »
Have you set Norton Firewall or Anti-Virus to disallow cookies?

I suggest you reconfigure both to standard defaults.

davietich

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 12:41:38 AM »
norton appears to be configured ok but i have noticed that xp auto downloads tried to download sp2 but failed though there is a partial program of sp2 on my pc which tries to inslall then redirects me to windows update where i cant  seem to re install complete update,
would this have screwed up my 'cookies' setting and any idea of how to download sp2 properly.
much obliged
davie

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 12:49:46 AM »
SP2 and Norton do not get along. It is best to not install SP2 until the bugs are worked out. It is known to break more than 100 applications and cause havoc with the ones it doesn't break. Some of MS apps won't even work with SP2. There is no way to uninstall SP2 once it is installed. Save yourself a big headache and hold off on it.

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 12:55:36 AM »
Forgot. SP2 automatically defaults to turn on the built in firewall. Make sure it is turned off.  It blocks inbound traffic, but if you should get any "call home" pests, it will allow it. Stay with your present firewall software.

davietich

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 01:44:13 PM »
cheers- much obliged
davie ;D