Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safely Remove Hardware... is it necessary?  (Read 2113 times)

compEngineer0

Safely Remove Hardware... is it necessary?
« on: March 29, 2006, 04:22:40 PM »
I have a couple of SATA drives and a JumpDrive that I plug in occasionally, so the safely remove hardware is always in the systray. I was just wondering if this thing actually does anything and if its harmful to just pull the jumpdrive out without removing? what does removing it do?

GX1_Man

Re: Safely Remove Hardware... is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »
Always remove USB devices correctly. You are asking for problems if you don't!

compEngineer0

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 04:47:23 PM »
that's what i figured... i was just wondering what problems could arise. i'm not exactly sure what the problem is and why removing it fixes it. thanks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 04:55:42 PM »
Due to the computer using "write behind", this is not recommended. "Write behind", is used to speed up the computer - instead of slowing down the system everytime you make a change, the computer will wait for "idle" time to write to a drive. You may not get updated files, or even get corrupted files. By "safely remove", the computer will force a write to the drive, and allow a complete check before it allows you to remove the drive. Just like shutting down the computer properly, instead of just turning the power off.

compEngineer0

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 08:55:07 PM »
cool thanks, that's what i was curious about :)