Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Doesn't recognize slave drive  (Read 3276 times)

zevron

Doesn't recognize slave drive
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
I have a Gateway AMD with Athlon chip running Win98SE and IE6.  This computer will not recognize a slave drive, even after I set up Bios for Auto recog.  Deleted Root Hubs in an effort to reorganize, no luck.  Have a HP2355 Printer on one USB and a camera on the other.  I am getting exasperated to say the least.  Nothing seems to work.  Anyone have any ideas?  The slave is set for slave (checked and double checked) and the Master is set for Master.  I can take the slave out in put it into another computer and it works fine.

Jim

pcdoc4christ

Re: Doesn't recognize slave drive
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »
Zevron:

Do you see the slave hard drive in the BIOS setup?  If the BIOS doesn't recognize it, Windows will not, either.  Is this an external hard drive connected to a USB port?  If so, Windows 98 SE may need drivers installed before it will be able to access the drive.

Let us know if you need more help.

Doc

zevron

Regular Maxtor hard drive
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:58:28 PM »
Bios is not recognizing it, and I don't know why not.

Jim

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
Zevron:

The data cable (the one connected from the motherboard to the hard drive) might be reversed.  The red stripe should connect to pin 1 on the motherboard and pin 1 on the hard drive.  Be careful not to bend any of the pins.

Doc

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »
The jumpers on both drives must be correctly set.
Some master set drives require different jumpering arrangements when used in a "master/none" situation to the jumpering required in a "master/slave" situation.