Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Computer won't turn on!!  (Read 5455 times)

dickandsarah

My Computer won't turn on!!
« on: April 07, 2006, 04:04:08 PM »
I just got a used computer that wasn't used much.  It was in a garage for 4 years or so.  We hooked it up a few times over the last few months and everything worked fine [smiley=thumbsup.gif].  The computer didn't have anything in it, except what was pre-installed.  We decided to keep it so I hooked it up and played around with it (not online) for a few hours.  I shut it down.  2 days later it wouldn't turn on.  It's a Dell with Windows 2000.  The power button blinks yellow, the keyboard lights come on and the monitor lights come on.  That's it.  We have tested the outlets where it  is hooked up and that's all fine. I know a little about computers as far as programs and things like that, but this has me and everyone I know, baffled!! :question  This was the second computer in two days that quit on me [smiley=angry.gif].  They were both fine until Monday.  The other is an OLD Gateway with Windows 98.  That one gets as far as the boot screen and shuts down.  If anyone can help me, please, I would appreciate it.  [smiley=cry.gif] I need one or the other to work, preferrably the Dell.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: My Computer won't turn on!!
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
    The previously unknown Y2K4/3 bug!! :D*

Seriously, are you getting any beep codes from the Dell?
    Are you getting any error messages from either machine?

* As you might imagine, I am not serious.
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 04:26:38 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

dickandsarah

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 04:50:33 PM »
    Thanks for replying so quick!!   No beeps or error messages.  If you hold the power button long enough on the Dell, that light will stop blinking and the keyboard and monitor lights go out.  

With the Windows 98, it starts ok, gets to the boot screen and shuts down.  Turn it on,  it does the same thing again.  The 98 started that last Friday.  I have used it for a few months with no problems (other than it being a dinosaur with 98).  That one started doing that so I hooked up the Dell.  That was fine, no problems at all, until Monday when I tried it.  This is all taking place at my boyfriend's automotive shop.  I have a small office there where I do his paperwork.  I don't know if this helps or not, but everything is run on his circuit breaker box.  At night, he shuts everything down with that box, including my office.  I shut down the computer normally before he hits the switch to all the power.  Everyone has said that if I'm shutting the computer down manually, then shutting the power off shouldn't be a problem.  This is just so frustrating because I have so much to do at the shop and can't.  I do everything on the computer there.  If the problem has something to do with the shop, then obviously I am not going to get a new computer.  Also, there is a sand blaster that runs throughout the day on that same curcuit, would that cause a problem?  Thanks so much. [smiley=cool.gif]  (We have opened the box and taken out the battery for a minute, which did work once, it started as far as the boot screen and started over and over--now nothing)

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:06:45 PM »
      I would say it's a motherboard issue except it happened to both so quickly. Hmm... I'll think about this for a while. But in the meantime:

• Those who say that the breakers can be switched off if the PC is already off are correct. If the PC is down, no problems.
      • Assuming that the Sand Blaster is not used in the general vicinity of the PCs, there should be no problems. My home computer is currently running on the same circuit breaker as my lights, the guest bathroom, and a second bedroom. Both of our bedrooms have a TV, I have sconces and my light is a 4-bulb fixture. If that doesn't cause electrical issues, nothing will save a downed line.

BUT... if the Sand Blaster is used near the PCs we may have a case of a blasted PC problem. (Actually, we do anyway ;))[/list]

dickandsarah

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »
      The Sand Blaster is  under the office.... It used to make everything go dim, but that was taken care of a while ago.  I'll let you think on it.   Thank you again.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 05:45:06 PM »
        How well protected from viruses were/are these machines? It may be that a virus or two bested the machine.

dickandsarah

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 05:50:39 PM »
        No viruses.  The Win 98 computer came from my fiancee's dad, so I know that was clean.  The other was used briefly for Snap-On Tools and I checked it myself--No viruses.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
          To be honest - I'm at a loss. I'm afraid I don't know myself. I know that someone will be aound sooner or later, but to be honest this one eludes my knowledge. :'(

dickandsarah

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 07:15:32 PM »
          Thank you for spending so much time on my dilema.  I appreciate it a lot.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »
          What model Dell is it, or better yet what is the service tag (attached to the outside 5-6 letters and numbers). That will tell us a lot about it.

dickandsarah

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »
          I wrote every number down that I found on the Dell :-/... The Service Tag is:14JT711  Express Service Code:2451921877

I have others too.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »
          That is an Optiplex GX150 slim form factor that was shipped originally on 2/11/02. There is no current warranty through Dell on the system.

It originally came with a Pentium III 1 Ghz processor and 64 meg. RAM, although more could have been added later. It takes PC133 SDRAM. It originally came with a DVD and a 40 gig hard drive.

So the system is definitely worth saving. The question is what will get it working?

These units tended to overheat and the power supplies were suspect at best. The fact that you had two go down in such a short period of time makes me think the wiring is faulty. First try it in another outlet. Some of the lights, etc. can work, yet the power supply is ruined (or perhaps the motherboard and more!) if there was an electrical problem.

If you don't have any experience fixing PC's this may be beyond you. A local shop could check if the PSU was OK or not. All of the parts are proprietary to Dell, so you cannot just go get replacements off the shelf at your local store.

dickandsarah

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 08:46:06 PM »
          It does have the DVD, (never got to try it).  The hard drive is only about a little over a quarter full.  Basically, it just has the OS in it.  I don't know anything really about "the inside" of a computer.  I have had my personal Dell for about 3 years and never had a problem.  I'm just lost.  One guy in town said it might be the power supply. The guy we are/were going to buy it from is asking $300 for it.  Depending on what it would cost to fix it, would it be better to just buy new?  We did try another outlet, but nothing changed.  Thanks for you help.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »
            Personally were I you, I wouldn't trust that it wouldn't happen again. I'd buy a different brand and just install the hard drive you have as a slave and extract all your needed data. But that's just me. It comes down to this: Do you think it will happen again? And do you even know that will fix it? Who knows, maybe part of the motherboard got damaged too! So really it comes down to how much you trust your system.

EDIT: Sorry, no idea how I double-posted.
            « Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:04:17 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 09:21:44 PM »
            If he wants to sell it like this for $300 I would definitely pass! A non-working computer even with these parts is worth about $20. That DVDROM will not fit another computer. The thing may be messed up beyond repair!