Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SP-1 installation gone wrong, now XP wont start  (Read 2816 times)

alicia250

SP-1 installation gone wrong, now XP wont start
« on: April 09, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »
This is my first post, and I did a quick search and didn't see my problem, so I hope I didn't look over something that was already in here.

Okay, I have a Toshiba Satellite S-...something or other, that, up until yesterday, was running Windows XP. I bought a usb 2.0 pc mcia card, but it wouldn't install correctly because I apparently didn't have SP-1 installed.

I tried to install sp-1, and then restarted. XP loaded, and I made it to the login page, and I got an error. I forget the exact message, but it was something to the effect that it couldn't verify windows or a license I think. I clicked okay, and tried to logon, but I just got the message again.

Figuring I messed up the installation, I restarted in safe mode, and did a system restore.

Upon rebooting, I found that this didn't help.

>.> Then I tried to tell the system to use the last known good configuration. (I think that was kinda dumb now, but I was flailing. ;_;)

I restarted, and I saw the os loader screen, then a really quick blue flash, and then the screen went black, and it shut down. It stated to restart on its own, and just went in a loop. Os screen for a bit, blue flash, black, restart.

It does this when I try to start in safe mode as well.

Obviously, I can get into the bios and such, I just can't get windows to start.

I started in one mode (I don't know which one, sorry) and it said that I had Windows XP SP-1, so I guess the installation was at least partially successful.

I have the system restore discs that came with the laptop, and if I press 'c' during boot it gives me the option to return to the factory image, but I (stupidly) have not backed up in a while, and I would very much like to save my information.

If I could just get the really important things onto my external before reinstalling everything, I would be eternally grateful. (And if I didn't have to lose anything, well, that would be fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.)

Please, please someone help me.

pcdoc4christ

Re: SP-1 installation gone wrong, now XP wont star
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 07:46:11 PM »
Alicia:

Yeah, when i installed service pack 2 for the first time, Windows XP would not let me log on till i activated Windows again, because it was 40 days past the date i originally installed Windows XP.  

You can try starting the computer with the system restoration CD and doing a repair installation (that is, if this option is available on the restoration CD).  Then, you can reinstall the service pack and activate Windows if you are connected to the Internet (or call the Microsoft phone number indicated if you are not).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

If the option to do a repair installation is not available, the only way to get to your files is to connect the hard drive to another laptop (or to a desktop computer with a laptop-to-desktop adapter) as a slave drive and copying the files you want to the other computer, so you can then copy them to a CD-R or DVD-R or other removable storage media.

Doc
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:48:55 PM by pcdoc4christ »

alicia250

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 08:18:21 PM »
Thank you Doc!

It doesn't give me an option to restore. ;_; So it looks like I'm about to venture into new areas of computer repair.

Well, if I managed to install that cd drive, this hard drive slaving thing should be cake, right?   ...right?!  :o

(And, while I'm fairly sure it's my fault my laptop isn't working, I'd like to take this moment to blame windows. Stupid Windows! *shakes fist*)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:25:08 PM »
     alicia250..... Could you clarify if you meant to say SP2 and typed SP1 in error or had you never updated your laptop ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

alicia250

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:34:15 PM »
    No, I meant SP-1. I reverted to the factory image a while back, and I guess I didn't remember to reinstall the upgrades, or I didn't get around to it because my internet connection is slow and not the most stable. I didn't go for SP-2 yesterday because all I wanted to do was to get my stupid USB 2.0 working, and I heard that there were some issues with sp-2.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
    You got some issues with this, though. Probably would be best to download SP2 and install from CD BEFORE getting on the net after your next system reinstallation, which sounds like it will be soon.  :'(

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

alicia250

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:21:06 PM »
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely follow through with that. 266 megs?!  It's a very very good thing that I have friends with highspeed connections nearby.  :o

Man, all of this makes a girl want to get a new os. Something a little more idiot proof XD

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »
      It's not you. I think most of us have gotten a bit baffled by how Microsoft works. By the way, I'm using SP-2 right now. I have a USB keyboard and two USB mice. I also have a USB diskette drive. All of these little "toys" work perfectly.

Finally, Windows is the easiest to learn because there is an interface for almost anything and it's, ah, relatively stable
      (compared to Mac anyway). You can't get that anywhere else (though other OSs are much more stable, they are also much more difficult to figure out...)
      « Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:30:01 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

alicia250

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
      My USB peripherals were working fine, I just didn't want to wait ages for files to transfer to and from from my external. A friend mentioned I could get a card that would let me use the 2.0 speed. *sigh* I suppose if I had been more patient, I wouldn't be in this mess.

Ah well. Live and learn, right? And I'm going to get that thing working at highspeed even if it kills me now. After I get windows up and running again... o.o

alicia250

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:45:16 PM »
      Hmm... I've been looking around online, and I'm not quite sure. What is the best way to get my drive hooked up to a different computer? I only have other people's laptops available, so anything that requires me taking apart more than my computer is probably a no go. I suppose I could look around for one of those enclosures that will let me use my drive as an external. If there's any other way, please do tell, and if not, know any good vendors in Japan, or that will ship to Japan for less than two limbs?

Thanks again everyone!

lar2018

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
      A,
      Lost track of where you were in the process.  Some ideas...
      - try using an external Firewire drive (assuming your Satellite model has it).  Skirt the USB issues.
      - (may be too late to be useful) have you ever created an Emergency Boot Disk?  My Tosh will boot from SD Card. May be able to access files on internal HD then... to move, maybe repair.
      - Tosh site has good support document library.  Driver updates too.   www.csd.toshiba.com

also... Retrieving files, remember 'odd' locations...   Outlook .pst,   bookmarks,  App Data paths, etc

- Accessing your HD from OPM (other people's machines).  Ethernet... hook into same router, and on your machine turn on File Sharing. Should be able to Drag and Drop whole Folders  (hook up External Drive to OPM and control copying from there). Other connections work to...  Infrared, maybe USB (host  or master may be issue)

Good luck