Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing ME from dual boot system  (Read 2239 times)

PeckStone

Removing ME from dual boot system
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:12:14 AM »
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 with two hard drives and a different operating system on each one. The original 20G one has Windows ME and the new 200G (partitioned) one has Windows XP. Windows ME has become corrupt and unreliable so I would like to delete it from the system and use the 20G hard drive as a slave drive for storage.  How do I go about doing this? Should I disconnect one or both drives and change the drive settings?  Should I just format the 20G disk from windows XP (I doubt it)?  Do I need to change anything in the bios settings and what will happen to the drive letters on windows XP? At the moment in windows XP the original 20G disk shows as 'C' drive and the new 200G disk, which is partitioned is shown as 'F' and 'G' drives.  'D' and 'E' are both CD/DVD R-write drives.  I do have everything backed up from both drives, but, of course, I am hoping not to cause any major problems with my XP system if possible.  Can anyone give me instructions on exactly what I need to do?  

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Removing ME from dual boot system
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 04:28:14 AM »
Are you sure that the 20GB hard drive doesn't have XP on it?  Because you seem to be booting from that drive (if it's labelled C: ).  If you can disconnect the 20GB drive from your system and still boot (changing the jumper on the 200GB drive to Master) then the problem is a simple one.  You could reinstall the smaller hard drive as a slave (it will become drive F: ) and reformat it with NTFS or FAT32.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 04:28:37 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

PeckStone

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 02:46:43 PM »
No I don't boot from the XP drive.  The 'C' drive is definately the 20G with Windows ME.  If I disconnect this drive what will happen when I reboot - will the drive letters automatically rearrange themselves?  When PC boots and gives me the options to choose operating system, the XP one is listed first and is the default one, but that drive is definately shown as 'F' on the XP system and as 'D' on the ME system.  I am a bit new to doing upgrades and I don't yet understand what goes on in the system when hardware is changed or upgraded etc. so I worry that I might be doing the wrong thing and won't have any idea how to rescue a system if I mess up.  

sodataxi

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 04:15:54 PM »
Ok from what I understand you are trying to say is that you just want xp to be the os of your pc.

Step One :

Remove the drive with ME on it from your computer.

Setp Two :

Set the drive that remains jumpers to "Master".

Step Three:

Boot The PC and Tell me if it boots, and if it does What OS is it running from that drive, also cheak in " My Computer" The Drive letter of the hard drive that is plugged in, you said it was partitioned so thier should be two of them, also remember the size of them then post back.

Soda