Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer wont start up  (Read 2373 times)

infamous858

computer wont start up
« on: April 22, 2006, 10:24:59 PM »
Hey, i seem to have a problem when starting up my computer right now.
AT first my computer was freezing within a few minutes of booting up, now when i started it up it is stuck at the first screen that pops up, which is dos screen with my computer info.
It asks me if i would like to boot us bios or boot hardware, and when i click "f2" to boot bios it says
"You have selected boot bios" and it just stays their.
I am running a p4 3gig, 1024 ram, 128 vid card

anyone know whats up?
thanks in advanced

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer wont start up
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:34:19 PM »
Which operating system are you using? When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently? Do you have virus and Spyware protection?

Flame

infamous858

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:41:22 PM »
sorry for lack of info.
I started getting the problem with freezing couple days ago, so i reformated my hard drive and put a fresh copy of windows xp.
Everything was booting up at first (although during installation of xp it froze a couple times"
suddenly the freezing came back randomly, usally within 5 minutes.
I checked the ram too see if that was the problem, but they seem to be fine.
I rebooted again after it froze a few minutes later and its complety stuck at the first screen at boot up.
It tells me my system info, and asks whether to boot bios or hardware. once i choose either or, it tells me that i chose that option and doesnt go anywhere...
i started to keep trying with no luck

I than determined that my vid card (9600 pro 128 ati) was dying (so i think) and took it out completly and put my monitor cable into my on board vid... i still have the same problem..
i have no idea what is up?
hope this info will help

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 11:11:11 PM »

infamous858

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:18:22 PM »
thanks for info, but i cant test much when my computer wont start :(

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 11:22:55 PM »
The most common reasons for this are bad RAM,bad component, or faulty power supply. Do you have another power supply, known to work, that you could test with?