Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Second Opinion Please  (Read 1844 times)

GX1_Man

Second Opinion Please
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:59:45 PM »
Soyo motherboard with a 2600+ XP Barton core working fine for the last year or two. When pressing "on" today, no video at all (Monitor yellow light is on, instead of ususal green. Swapped video card with identical AGP FX5200, no difference. Monitor works fine with another computer. Another monitor on this computer gives identical results. Swapped out 2 known working power supplies and no difference. No attempt to seek floppy drive, access hard drive, etc. noted when powered on.

Computer was not opened or moved prior to this, no unusal activity at all. Meticulously clean from malware, running Windows 98.

I plan to replace CMOS battery in a.m. and pray over it, but would welcome all ideas, before springing for a new mobo. I am too tired after jetting in this afternoon to mess with it further today.  :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:00:55 PM by GX1_Man »

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Second Opinion Please
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »
    My thoughts are the mobo. You know it's not the video card, you know it's not the monitor, you know it's not the PSU, it can't be the hard drive... what else could it be? All boards, chips and such have lives, as you oft recommend; likely the mobo. Though if replacing the CMOS battery works (strange things happen with computers) I wouldn't complain.  :-X
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."