Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Jerky DVD  (Read 3111 times)

geekpcservice

Jerky DVD
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:51:42 AM »
Hi,

I have an older eMachine running Win2K pro. It has 256M of ram. It was playing DVD movie nicely for the longest time using Power DVD. Somehow, I don't know what I did, I think it was after I did a fresh reinstallation of Win 2K, it started playing very jerky  :'(  Does anyone know why?

Thanks

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Jerky DVD
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:01:57 PM »
Did you install the latest video driver after the fresh installation of Win 2K?  Does Device Manager indicate any problems?  Run dxdiag (Start, Run, and enter dxdiag), select the Display tab, and run the tests.  Any problems indicated there?

tomo222

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 01:54:01 PM »
install latest video,graphics(dont ask),and monitor drivers (if not plug and play)

MacPC

Intermediate
    « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:53:02 PM »
    The video driver is the same as the working one I have before I reinstalled the OS. I think it is something with the memory setting on the computer but I just don't know hoew to figure where to go to set the right amount of the memory.

Thanks

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:26:43 AM »
    Did you monkey around in the BIOS?

MacPC

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 07:30:56 AM »
      No, I didn't touch the BIOS yet. What can I do in the BIOS?

Thanks

ITTechnician

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:14:19 PM »
      you cant do anything in t he bios to correct the problem, but you can try increasing your page file size

My computer Properties -->Advanced-->performance-->Advanced--> Change

This may help but can cause  your computer to run slower. BUT I BET your Media Player is using a huge amount of CPU Cycles you can see this by ctrl+alt+del = task manager

You will see a list of processes one will be media something. Look under CPU Cycles and see what the number is. If it is high you may need to install the last service pacl for 2kpro.