Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Easy Q - Win98SE Drive Format  (Read 3315 times)

PaulaOman

Easy Q - Win98SE Drive Format
« on: August 27, 2004, 08:54:22 AM »
Hi There,

If I was installing Win98SE on a brand new PC, how would I best configure the drives e.g. if I installed Win98SE on primary partition c:\ then put programs on d:\ extended partition and personal data and files on e:\, would this mean that in the future if Win98 got corrupted, I'd only need to format/fdisk c:\ and reinstall Win98, thus not losing any data on d: and e: .. is this how it works?

I assume any Windown updates would automatically save onto the c:\ installation? Maybe better to save the updates into d:\ because if you need to format c:\ in the future, you'd lose all the windows updates applied to it, and would have to download again.

Thanks for any advice / clarification.

P. ::)

Raptor

Re: Easy Q - Win98SE Drive Format
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 09:53:11 AM »
If you install your operating system on one partition, you will have only have to format that partition. Updates are automatically installed and are not saved.

You can safely format your C: disks should things go corrupt, however, if you install programs on your other disks they may no longer work after formatting due to them having ties to Windows files. Simply reinstall these programs.