Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 Admin accounts on the same pc  (Read 3250 times)

XChrisX

2 Admin accounts on the same pc
« on: May 07, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
So I have this problem since I first loaded windows.  It seems as if I have 2 admin accounts on the same pc but I can't seem to get rid of one of them.  One of them is titled "Administrator" and the other one is "XChrisX"  It doesn't effect my pc in any way and nothing seems to be slower or anything but it just bugs me that I have two admin accounts and can't get rid of one of them.  When I shutdown my pc and restart it the "Admin" account which is the one I use loads up and not the other one.  However when I log out of that account and not just switch users that account goes away and it not shown in my list of users.  However when I log out of "XChrisX" it stays there in my list of users.  I want to say that the "Admin" account I use now is the main account that had loaded up since the begining but I may be mistaken.  What I want to know is how I can get rid of "XChrisX" and just keep using the admin account since it has all of my personal files and everything on it.  I've tried going into "use Account" and changing all of that up and and modifying the account but I can't change anything.  Thanks for the help, and hopefully all of that made sense.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 11:27:14 AM by XChrisX »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: 2 Admin accounts on the same pc
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 11:32:29 AM »
If XChrisX is under a logged off status and you access Control Panel, User Accounts, and select XChrisX, do you have the option to "Delete the account"?

XChrisX

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »
If XChrisX is under a logged off status and you access Control Panel, User Accounts, and select XChrisX, do you have the option to "Delete the account"?
When I go to "Change the account type" Computer Administrator is is the option selected and next to it is "Limited" but it is gray and won't allow me to select that option.  Just now I logged out of "Admin" and it went away, etc.. and logged into XChrisX so I could restart to see which account loaded up on restart and it was "Admin"

soybean

Genius

XChrisX

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 04:08:33 PM »
How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
See when I go into the modify user accounts and click on the account I would like to modify there is no "delete" option for the "XChrisX" account.  When I log out of "Administrator" and log into "XChrisX" and go into control panel "user accounts" just to see if I could modify the "Admin" account, it doesn't even show up.  When I try to modify "XChrisX" the only options I get are Change name, password, remove password, Change picture, Change Account type, change .NET Passport.  However clicking on "Change Account Type" does nothing.  I get no "Delete Account" option.  Now that I have logged out of "Admin" the account I use, it has dissapeared as an account that I can log into and the only way it will come back is if I restart.  This is just confusing because I have no idea how I ended up with two administrator accounts in the first place

Click Delete the account to delete the user account from the computer. When you delete the account, you are given the option to save the user's files on the computer.

Note: You can not delete the account for a user that is currently logged on to the computer.

What's in bold is what i would like to accomplish but it won't work on my computer as for both admins i am not given that option.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 08:02:24 PM by XChrisX »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:55:39 PM »
I may have to jump ship on you.  Trying to understand the illogical explanation of your situation is getting to be too much of a burden.

My impression is that you have one Admin account, which is named XChrisX.  So, you've either changed the name of the default Admin account, which is named Admin, to XChrisX, or you created XChrisX as an admin account, then deleted the original Admin account.  You must have at least one admin account; you can have more.  If you only have one, you will not see the option to delete that account.  You say you don't have the delete option; therefore, you apparently only have one admin account, the one named XChrisX.

XChrisX

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »
Maybe this will help...(Sorry I tried posting the pics but they didn't show up so here are the links.)
http://image36.webshots.com/36/0/87/36/2694087360048421991gupPvT_ph.jpg
http://image58.webshots.com/158/2/33/62/2066233620048421991AXBlGc_ph.jpg
http://image55.webshots.com/155/0/16/6/2689016060048421991kkfAeh_ph.jpg
The first pic shows that I do have two Admin accounts, and the second one shows that I am not given a delete option.  The third pic shows that when I try to pick a new account type for "XChrisX" that I'm unable to select anything.  The only way I can change the account type for "Administrator" is too log out of it and try to fix it from "XChrisX" however when I do that  "admin" dissapears.  Maybe that helps.
P.S. If clicking the links doesn't work, try copy and paste them into ie.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:12:48 AM by XChrisX »

XChrisX

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 09:14:47 AM »
Grrr I know this is confusing and sorry if I made no sense at all but no one else has ever had this problem or knows how I can fix it?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 10:31:39 AM »
Maybe this will help...(Sorry I tried posting the pics but they didn't show up so here are the links.)
The first pic shows that I do have two Admin accounts, and the second one shows that I am not given a delete option.  The third pic shows that when I try to pick a new account type for "XChrisX" that I'm unable to select anything.  The only way I can change the account type for "Administrator" is too log out of it and try to fix it from "XChrisX" however when I do that  "admin" dissapears.  Maybe that helps.
Still confusing.  Your have two adminstrative accounts, one called "Administrator" and one called "XChrisX".  So, what is "admin", which you say disappears?

XChrisX

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
Still confusing.  Your have two adminstrative accounts, one called "Administrator" and one called "XChrisX".  So, what is "admin", which you say disappears?
Well according to Windows you cannot make changes to the account in which you are currently logged into.  And apparently only administrators can make changes to user accounts.  Well when I log out of "Admin" to sign into "XChrisX" to make changes to the other account it misteriously dissapers.  

Being logged into "XChrisX"  I am unable to see the account named "Admin" in order to make changes to it.  it dissapeared.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:40:39 AM by XChrisX »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 10:20:17 AM »
"Admin" vs. "Administrator"?   Which is it?  Please use the exact terms; not doing so leads to confusion.

XChrisX

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »
"Admin" vs. "Administrator"?   Which is it?  Please use the exact terms; not doing so leads to confusion.
Sorry I was refering to "Administrator"  Just trying to show that when logged in as "XChrisX" to try and make changes to "Administrator" it goes away.

akil

Rookie
    « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »
    Boot the pc in safe mode.. Then u will able to see the 2 admins account.. if you want to delete "XChrisX" account you should logon in "Admin" and delete it..or if you wanna delet the "admin" account you should logon in "XChrisX account and delete the "admin" account.. You cant delete both account bcos atleast one administrator aacout must be in a windows O/S...
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:13:38 AM by akil »
    ***^^^NoThInG ImPoSSibLe To MaNKinD***^^^