Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Window 98SE doesn't recognize Slave Western D HD  (Read 2158 times)

wheels

Window 98SE doesn't recognize Slave Western D HD
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:42:03 AM »
Good morning.

I am trying to install a Western Digital 20 GB Hard Drive as a slave in my Compaq Presario. The HD was used in a Gateway system as a master HD.

I set the jumpers for slave configuration and connected the power and serial connector.

The problem is the BIOS recognizes the HD and a Windows program from Western Digital named Data Lifeguard Tools recognizes the drive, but wants to set it as a secondary store device and want to erase all the data and/or partision. I need the files on the hard drive unfortunately.

Also the problem is, Windows doesn't recognize the Slave and the "DOS" command prompt doesn't have a drive letter for this drive.

Within the Data Lifeguard Tools program it lists the Slave HD under My Computer Primary ATA controller C:/Quantum Bigfoot 3.2 GB (my master HD) and the WDC WD200GB-11Bhf0 20 GB (which is the slave. It also lists Seconday ATA controller and there is nothing under that field.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions? Thank you.

GX1_Man

Re: Window 98SE doesn't recognize Slave Western D
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 03:48:06 PM »
If it' s jumpered correctly, then the next step is to see if it is recognized in the BIOS. If so, then the drive should be seen in Windows and the data should be accessible. Whatever that WD program is should not be necessary.

Is the original drive jumpered as Master or Cable Select?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 03:48:37 PM by GX1_Man »

jackpkmn

Re: Window 98SE doesn't recognize Slave Western D
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »
I have often found that Compaqs use the Cabel select by default. Now whatever your problem is you could probebly fix it by deleteing this WD crud. It isent nesseary (Unless you have a really old computer that recognizes it as a 10-15 instaid). Also Just remember, dont think about it so much you go crazy.