Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Outlook 2003 - Intermittent receipt of e-mail  (Read 4361 times)

Cayenne

MS Outlook 2003 - Intermittent receipt of e-mail
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:19:59 PM »
Hi,

I am using MS Office Outlook 2003.  I have it configured to receive e-mail from a webmail account.
( eg; [email protected] )  I receive some of the e-mail sent to this account, but not all.  

TIA for any help you can provide.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: MS Outlook 2003 - Intermittent receipt of e-ma
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:06:46 AM »
Hi,

( eg; [email protected] )  I receive some of the e-mail sent to this account, but not all.  

So, this is email sent to you through a website you maintain?  Is that right?

Cayenne

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:50:24 AM »
Thank you Soybean.

Yes, you are correct.

Example: I, or someone else, sends an e-mai to ( not real site name,) [email protected].  Some of these are being received, some are not.  ( As verbally confirmed with sender, or sent by me from other accounts, etc.)

Example: As a test yesterday, I sent an e-mail from a yahoo! account to the "[email protected] account. It was not received.  I then sent an e-mail from the "[email protected]" (MS Outlook) account to the same Yahoo! account.  It was received.  I then replied  to that e-mail (Yahoo! to [email protected],) and the reply was received by the (MS Outlook) "[email protected]" account.

The host for the webmail account says that he thoroughly checked things out, nothing is bouncing back, 9000 other accounts on that server are not reporting any problems, etc.

I'm hoping (praying ! )  there is simply a problem with an MS Outlook setting I need to change.  This is making me nuts !

One more thing: I am very unsophisticated in discussing computer hardware/software.  I am very thankful for any help I can get here.

Best,

Eddie

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:23:28 AM »
I'd bet my grannie that this is not an Outlook problem.  All Outlook does is connect to your email provider and download all the messages that are waiting there.  It would not selectively ignore emails, unless you had a particular spam filter in place that deletes certain emails before download (unlikely to be your problem).

The problem is almost certainly between the server that is sending the email and the server that is receiving the email.  Some ISPs are a bit heavy-handed about mail from Yahoo and other free acounts.  THey may have been marked as spam by your email provider, and deleted before you had a chance to pick them up.  Or they may have been filed in a spam folder (check with your email provider).

Who provides your email?  Knowing this will give us more insight into the problem.  Do you know if you download your email via POP3?  Don't worry if that doesn't mean anything to you.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Cayenne

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:12:42 AM »
Thank you Rob,

I am not home right now.   I do believe it is a "POP3" .  I will double check when I return home this evening.  ( When I set up the incoming / outgoing mail it was (eg; ) "pop.cayenne.com" )

Please note, some of the "un-received" e-mail came from sources other than Yahoo! Some were from a company that uses it's own domain name.  ( Interestingly, and much to my great frustration, that company sends me e-mail throughout the month.  Some I get, some I don't. )   One was from an individual who simply replied to an e-mai I sent, but I never received his reply.

The provider is webmail.  ( I had an acquaintance in the business set this up for me.  He is the one who told me he did multiple tests, found no problem, etc.  Still, I am going nuts because I must be able to rely on this completely to receive e-mail.)

Again, any insight you may have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddie

Cayenne

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 10:15:14 AM »
Does, "webmail.cayenne.com" & "HORDE", help ?

TIA

Eddie

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:33:53 AM »
Horde is used by many hosting services to support email for their customers.  Might be worth taking time to see whether you have any filter rules existing in Horde; it also has Whitelist and Blacklist feature.

Have you logged onto your hosting service's cPanel for your website and looked at the email management functions there, particularly the Forwarders settings?  Also, see whether your hosting service has their support forum.  Many of them do have.

Cayenne

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »
"...Might be worth taking time to see whether you have any filter rules existing in Horde; it also has Whitelist and Blacklist feature.

Have you logged onto your hosting service's cPanel for your website and looked at the email management functions there, particularly the Forwarders settings?  Also, see whether your hosting service has their support forum.  Many of them do have. "

Thanks Soybean !

Could you please break this down more simply.

Eddie

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 01:57:31 PM »
Are you familiar with cPanel?  Have you used it?  I use TotalChoiceHosting for a site.  Here's some info they have on the cPanel for their clients: Accessing cPanel.  Surely, your hosting service has some info on this somewhere on their site.  They should have sent you some info on how to access your control panel when you first created an account with them.