Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Surround Sound and me  (Read 1844 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Surround Sound and me
    « on: May 18, 2006, 07:37:04 PM »
    I've been hearing only the front speakers for some time. The back speakers work, to be sure, but I figured that ordinary mp3's were incapable of surround sound as they weren't created for surround. So, I was content to have only the front three speakers playing unless I was in a game like Knights of the Old Republic. However, on one of those rare moments I got out of my computer chair (I had to clean my room), I had music going on, a mp3 from edgen.com. I bent down next to my rear speaker, and lo and behold... sound!

I reset the balance to favor the back and side. All speakers were set to 100%, but I took the front left, right, and center down to 50%. Then I turned it up. Now, I have sound out of all my speakers. I am of the mindset that good music is meant not to be heard, but experienced, so this is good news for me -- very good news. However, I have to ask: What makes a sound "surround sound", then, if all my sounds can be heard out of all 8 speakers?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Surround Sound and me
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »
    Have you set Windows to know that you have this many speakers? If you don't configure the settings, don't expect it to work properly.

Flame