Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Retrieving old Outlook mail / contacts  (Read 2987 times)

Simjim001

Retrieving old Outlook mail / contacts
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:45:22 PM »
Hi,

Recently re-installed Windows XP (Home Ed), which was a newer version of what was originally on system. Wjen asked if I wanted to format drives, I selectd no - keep current file system in tact.

Now that it is up and running, nothing is actively installed! I installed a newer version of Office, but can't get hold of my old mail. All my old files appear to be there in Program Files on the old drive, just can't find the mail. I've done a search for *.pst files, but nothing comes up.

I'm sure the data is there, how do I find it?

Many thanks.... :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Retrieving old Outlook mail / contacts
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
Why are you sure the data is there? Even though you didn't reformat the drive, blank new files could have overwritten the old files. There are other dangers in just doing a dirty over the top install  beyond keeping previous problems. Does your search turn up ANY files with the extension you listed?

Simjim001

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:21:47 PM »
It turns up one .pst file, but that is related (I think) to the new version of Office.

If the FBI can turn up files from a HDD that have intentionally been deleted, surely my old mail files that I did not (intentiaonally anyway) delete should be there in some format.

Other programs from the old Program File directory are able to be re-installed no problems......

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:33:40 PM »
    In the old documents and settings folder, in username_folder->application data (this one is hidden, you have to activate the option "Show hidden files and directories" and maybe "Show system files" in Tools->Folder Options->View ) ->Microsoft->Outlook. There is your pst.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 11:34:10 PM by viking »

Simjim001

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 01:12:46 AM »
    Half way there - got to show hidden files, found Applicationa Data -> Microsoft, but no Outlook folder..............

Simjim001

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 01:24:16 AM »
    Sorry, found some files which look like the ones, but can't copy and paste - "Access denied". Any Ideas??

guug787

Re: formatting drive c+windows xp reinstallation
    « Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:23:44 AM »
    I have windows xp in my computer. I want to format drive c and then reinstall windows xp, need information for the steps from A to Z.

Thanks & regards

viking

Adviser
      « Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:46:14 AM »
      stop outlook, stop messenger
      (this should fix the problem with access denied)

viking

Adviser
        « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:51 AM »
        Yes, I fogot to mention the right path to pst files...
        c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook
        My apologies for incovenience  :-[