Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you get the dust out?  (Read 2821 times)

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
    How do you get the dust out?
    « on: June 03, 2006, 04:01:35 AM »
    Due to the fact its Summer now and temperatures have reached 85-90 degrees F, my computer keeps overheating and shutting down whenever I run programs.  I think it could be dust clogging the fan.  How do you clean out the dust?  Is there some special product I need to buy to do this cleaning?  I don't want to damage my computer by breaking it open so I need some help please.  Thanks.

Also how much temperature is considered to be too hot for the computer to handle?  My computer displays an average temp from 85-93 degrees F now.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How do you get the dust out?
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »
    What makes you think your computer is overheating?  85-93 degrees F is definitely NOT an overheating condition.  How are you getting the temperature reading from your computer?  How many temperatures does it report - CPU, etc.?

" I don't want to damage my computer by breaking it open so I need some help please."  

Well, obviously, "breaking it open" would not be the right way to go about it.  Would a professional technician break it to get it open?  Of course not.  Every case is designed to be opened without breaking it.  Have you taken a close look at your computer case to see how it opens?  

Opening a computer periodically to clean dust out of the inside is a good thing to do.  They accumulate dust inside from the constant flow of air through the case, and the impact of that dust on air flow can affect temperature.  But, again, 85-93 degrees F is definitely NOT an overheating condition.   So, you may have other problems, such as a bad or failing power supply.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 06:07:28 AM »
    It may also be a simple ventilation problem. Try taking the side off (after you figure out how) and blow a fan directly in there. If that solves the problem then you need more case fans installed.

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 08:38:11 AM »
      My computer has a digital display telling me the internal temperature.  The power connection is fine.

I'm still not sure what exactly the problem is so I tried doing a scientific experiment to test my theory.  I turned off the computer for 3-4 hours and turned on the A/C in my room.  When I turned on the computer again it read an internal temperature of 80 degrees F.  I then managed to run my game fine without problems when previously the computer would do an instant shutdown about a minute into a game.  However when the temperature reached 85 degrees the computer started acting up again and shutdown like before.  This is very confusing because I can play music or videos or even run some less graphic heavy games fine but the more graphic using games cause a premature shutdown.  Thoughts?  :-?
      « Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:39:58 AM by computer1000 »

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 09:21:36 AM »
      If that were my computer, I'd open it and look inside to see how many case fans it has, which direction they are moving air, and whether the video card has a fan on it.  I would also verify that the fan in the power supply is working.  You should feel air blowing out the back of the power supply.  

joe_tucker

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:22:06 PM »
      I would say it sounds like a bad power supply.
      Or maybe it could be shutting off because the temperature rose too quickly?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 01:34:06 PM »
      Have a read and see what applies.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1144733358

It sounds like heat or PSU based on what you describe and what causes it. Did you try the fan idea?

joe_tucker

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 01:55:07 PM »
      Or he could try buying one of those compressed air cans and blow out a bunch of dust.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 02:01:31 PM »
      If he does that he should be sure to block the blades of the fan while blowing in there. Many people ruin their CPU fan by spinning it as fast as it will possible go with a can of air. A word of caution for the newbs (and joe_tucker)!  ;)

computer1000

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 04:40:08 PM »
        Have a read and see what applies.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1144733358

It sounds like heat or PSU based on what you describe and what causes it. Did you try the fan idea?

Yeah I got a semi-moist cloth and gently wiped off the dust from outside.  Theres a couple of years dust built on the computer since I never opened it.  I then performed computer surgery and with the help of a trusty vacuum cleaner took care of the most glaring dust bunnies.  I'll probably need to open the windows more.  Thanks for the help.