Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop Short-Cuts  (Read 3858 times)

Buzzyonthelake

Desktop Short-Cuts
« on: June 05, 2006, 05:37:13 PM »
Have a new Frankenstein computer.  AMD 1333, 512 ddr memory, WXP2,   on hi-speed cable -  I open IE with desktop icon, go to website, right click mouse to create desk top short-cut icon...  close site,  back to desktop.  Click the short-cut icon and get a window ( Headed "OPEN WITH" )  asking me what program I want to use to opn this website.  It tells me that IE is the 'RECOMMENDED' program,  but I have a choice of 6-7 others (?).  I Hi-Lite IE, plus at the bottom of window, there is a box to check that states -" Always Use the Selected Program to Open this Kind of File"....which I check. . . .which doesn't change anything.  Why can't I go right from my Desktop Short-cut Icon directly to the website,  without being asked this everytime, for ANY short-cut ?  Other than this , everything works great & FAST.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Desktop Short-Cuts
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 07:19:26 PM »
     Buzzyonthelake.... I don't know what you have done , because once you have the shortcut icon on your desktop ...all you do is double left click on it and you will go directly to that site.
    You may however wish to consider adding the desired website to the favourites list ....then simply open favourites and double click on the link and your there .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:19:47 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:47 PM »
    They are all on my Favorites list,  but if I have to open IE to get there, what have I gained.  I'm still getting a second page that I have to CLICK to go where I want .     ??????

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
       Buzzyonthelake.....  Ah....... then how about putting a shortcut to your favourites folder on the desktop ........ Then you dont have to open IE ....each time ....... Here's how to do it ....... click start/my computer/Local disk(C)/Documents and settings/Your name/Favourites ....... then right click on the favourite folder ....select....send to .... Desktop ( create short cut )
      Its done.

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:51:21 PM »
      What difference does it make if I get to my FAVORITES by clicking on the IE ICON,   or clicking on the Favorites ICON,  ( from the desk top )   . . .they STILL  both will take me to the FAVORITES column, where I have to CLICK AGAIN to go to the website.

Have not gained a thing.  You're not saving me going to a second page, to click again, to go where I want to go.   ??????

I want to go from my DESK TOP (icon), . .directly to the website !!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »
        Buzzyonthelake......
        but if I have to open IE to get there, what have I gained.
          that is what you said ...right .... so you didnt want to have to open IE ...to get to your favourites ....isnt that what you said ....... by putting your shortcut folder on the desktop , you don't have to open IE ..... DO YOU GRASP THAT CONCEPT ?  I'm sorry to be a wee bit abrupt ...... but I dont think you read what I had posted .....
        You do no have to open IE to get to your favourite folder .......

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:08:07 PM by dl65 »

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:25:37 PM »
        I am not trying to avoid opening IE, it would open automatically when it goes to the website.  I just want to go from the desktop to the website by using an ICON. . . . . not going to a second page or list or anything else  to click the SAME SITE AGAIN . . .thats all.   No one else does, . . I want to be like everyone else.   I appreciate your efforts,  and sorry for the mis-communication.   I want to get rid of the window that asks me what program I want to use to  "open with"  everytime, for every icon, for every site from the desktop.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:53:43 PM »
          Buzzyonthelake......
          I am not trying to avoid opening IE, it would open automatically when it goes to the website.
          You must appreciate that we read exactly what the posters say ...... and attempt to respond to them based on what they post .  Your post clearly suggest that you did not want to be opening IE .
          but if I have to open IE to get there,
           That to me sounds like you dont want to open IE .....

.......but as an example ...... I just put an shortcut icon on the desktop for Computer Hope ....... and it goes directly to the site ....and theres no asking about what program to open it with ........ it just goes there .
          Have you checked in IE ..... in  tools/Internet Options/Programs tab .......and be sure that there is a tick in front of ..... Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser.......  if there isnt one that would explain your issue .... put in a tick , then click apply and ok ....... It would appear , that whoever did the initial configuration of your new machine simply missed that setting or didn't know what it was and passed it over .

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:31:24 AM by dl65 »

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:27:54 AM »
          That was the problem . . . . there was no tick in the box.  One last computer headache solved.  I will sleep better tonite.  THANKS SO MUCH for seeing me thru this.  Buzzy

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:30:07 AM »
            Buzzyonthelake....... Your more than welcome ........ Sleep well .