Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A little help here please??  lol  (Read 2930 times)

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

A little help here please??  lol
    « on: June 06, 2006, 03:04:45 PM »
     Can someone please tell me how to put windows 98 on a computer that currently has windows xp home edition?? I have the windows 98 cd, but when I put it in and try to install it it says: You cannot install Windows 98 while running this version of Windows. Start your computer in MS-DOS mode and then install Windows 98.   So can anyone tell me how to start in MS-DOS so I can do this?  Thanks! :)

Mrjcwhite

Re: A little help here please??  lol
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »
    the easyest way is a boot disk

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:15:28 PM »
      the easyest way is a boot disk
      a boot disk huh? hmm... and where do i come about one of those? I think i had one but it don't work anymore.. any other way?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
      IF you have a  bootable Win98 CD just start the macchine with that in there. Make sure the machinne is set in BIOS to boot from CDROM first.

If not a bootable CD ROM, or if you want to do it the other day, bo to www.bootdisk.com for a free boot disk for any operating system.

In any case, you will want to delete all partitions, recreate a partion and format the drive prior to reinstall. Post back if you don't understand this.

Make sure and back up any data first, if needed. You may want to write down what devices are identified in Device Manager before blanking everything out. ;)

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »
        IF you have a  bootable Win98 CD just start the macchine with that in there. Make sure the machinne is set in BIOS to boot from CDROM first.

If not a bootable CD ROM, or if you want to do it the other day, bo to www.bootdisk.com for a free boot disk for any operating system.

In any case, you will want to delete all partitions, recreate a partion and format the drive prior to reinstall. Post back if you don't understand this.

Make sure and back up any data first, if needed. You may want to write down what devices are identified in Device Manager before blanking everything out. ;)
        OK, u lost me somewhere... no, i don't want to save anything, i just want to start it all over with windows 98. So, having said that, what do I do?  lol

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »
        Use your google button and read a lot. After that, ask if you have questions.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=how+to+install+Win98&spell=1

<-----------------

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:57:16 PM »
          Use your google button and read a lot. After that, ask if you have questions.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=how+to+install+Win98&spell=1

<-----------------
          web sites don't help me, thats why i came here, so real people out there could talk to me and tell me what to do, thought thats what ya'll was here for

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »
          The information is readily available and explained clearly. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.  ;)

What do you not understand? it doesn't get much easier than thisw:

http://www.hildrum.com/installing_win98__and_making_a_b.htm

It was on the list and we don't need to type in the same information again. Think of it as an investment in your computing skills. Teach a man to fish....
          « Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 04:34:53 PM by GX1_Man »

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 07:56:35 PM »
            Ok, I got windows 98 on there!!  ;D  So now I guess all thats left is to get sound, and the color/picture isn't quiet right but i'll try to do it by myself before asking for help  ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 08:08:24 PM »
            I knew you could do it! Now download and run Everest Home to locate the video and audio devices, as well as any others listed in device manager with a question mark. What motherboard is this?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you know those, we can go looking for drivers.

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:18:50 AM »
               Ok, i'm stuck. I have no idea how to get sound, i've been in this same situation a thousand times and i've never learned it yet.... all i have is 2 and 16 colors, and so the color isn't right. And the last thing i can think of is, i have a dvd rom drive and a cd RW... the dvd rom is working but it says nothing about the cd RW drive anywhere

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:38:50 AM »
              Did you run Everest, as GX1_MAN advised?  What did it report for your sound card and video card?

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »
                Did you run Everest, as GX1_MAN advised?  What did it report for your sound card and video card?
                no I haven't done it yet