Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Assembling a Computer  (Read 4097 times)

Buzzyonthelake

Assembling a Computer
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »
Don't laff . . . I'm going to try and "ASSEMBLE" my first computer.  I have a Motherboard  ( MSI RS480M2-IL   AMD 939 Processor )   and have a chance to buy 'New in-box' an  80G  Hard Drive for $30.  I'm not so concerned about the price as I am . . . are Hard Drives so Generic that I should not be concerned about it being Compatible ? . . .   What should I be aware of  about putting these two parts together.  I don't have a Case yet,  this is all very new.  This is a First Try project and will NOT be a Gaming computer, . . just a decent quality surfer & e-mailer.  I envision a CPU of about 1.3 - 1.5  GHz     and   512mb of PC3200 Memory.   Will a Power Supply of 350 W   be sufficient. ??    Will be running Wind XP Pro SP2.    I hope this falls into the realm of what you will respond to.  Thanks. B.   :-/

If so,  there will be many more questions to come.  BEWARE !!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Assembling a Computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 04:57:15 PM »
    Buzzyonthelake...
    and have a chance to buy 'New in-box' an  80G  Hard Drive for $30.  I'm not so concerned about the price as I am . . . are Hard Drives so Generic that I should not be concerned about it being Compatible ? . . .   What should I be aware of  about putting these two parts together.
    Well the spec of the HD ..... must be compatible with the mobo ........
    BTW , what are the specs on the HD ?  

Is it a IDE ?
    or a SATA ?
    or SCSI ?
    or ?

You mobo manual will spell out what type of hd it will support ....do some reading ........

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »
    OK. There's a start.  I will have the Mobo AND Manual tomorrow.   If all else fails, read the directions.???      What a concept. !   Thanks.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 05:20:49 PM »
      LOL ....... Wow , what a quick learner ......lol

spend some time looking at the various sockets on the mobo ........ get used to what each is called ..... you will find that most mobos will have similar sockets.
      It's all about learning ...and its easy .

homer

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 05:23:44 PM »
        If all else fails, read the directions.???

that really should be the first thing u should do. a lot of things can go wrong when stuff is hooked up incorrectly or not compatible with each other. reading the manual will save u a lot of headaches.

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:53:32 AM »
        Where did that come from ?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:44:22 AM »
        first of all, as many have seen me say since i signed up on friday i belive it was, NEVER USE MSI BOARDS! expecially begiginers, i am quite exerienced with the hardware aspect of computers and i personally own a MSI board, i can say it is the biggest piece of junk i have EVER owned, i am constantly having to fix problems, just about every time i boot, i also do not reccomend celeron proccessors.... i will be very happy when i build my new amd am2 socket system off of the ASUS board... my dad built the pc i now use, i can call it a good first build for him, he was 54 at the time, is now 55, and just picked up on computers by reading. mostly help files in windows, and some stuff online, that is the only good thing i can say about this computer, it is unstable, has SERIOS heat issues, along with hardware issues, i wont go into it anymore, but trust me, if you can, RETURN THE MSI BOARD AND BUY ANOTHER 939 SOCKET BOARD!!! head my warning, you wont regret it...

Buzzyonthelake

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »
        Any others in agreement with the previous post ? ? ?   :-?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 12:26:03 PM »
           Buzzyonthelake......  I wouldnt take that post to be necessarily correct , I would suggest to you that by all the issues he is suggesting .......... there may well be something wrong with the build .
          For example , we have no way of knowing if the correct heatsink and fan were used. Or if a quality thermal paste was correctly applied . Or if the case has proper air flow and cooling . AND on and on ...........

Here's a few opinions on MSI boards...........
          “MSI's K8N Diamond Plus board also features a driver-finder application, which kicks serious *censored*….” – May 2006 Issue, Maximum PC Magazine

“ The MSI K8N Diamond Plus is a very capable and robust motherboard… Overall I very much liked the K8N Diamond Plus and would consider using it my personal system …” – Kyle Bennett, Editor of HardOCP.com  

MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256E was honored “Editor's Choice Award” from TechReport.com - MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256E's combination of performance, features, and extras is good enough to make it our Editor's Choice.  

So you be the judge .......

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 05:08:35 PM »
          Everyone has a bad experience with a piece of hardware, but to generalize that all of the products are crappola seems like an over reaction. Even PC Chips boards work good (enough) for some people.  ;)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 08:16:21 PM »
          meh, there AMD boards MAY be good, but there intel boards SUCK, my bros 775 board is the same way, problems left and right at first, but they somehow got it fixed, or it fixed its self, but i can say, atleast, aviod there intel boards and intel in general, hope i didnt scare ya, tell me if it is a good board, if it is, then MSI intel will be the only thing goin off my trusted list

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
            « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 09:39:53 AM »
            Im an anoying person.... so i apoligise

I use an MSI neo board for the last 2 years with a amd64 3200 and an MSI Geforce 5600

And i have had no problems with either part for the last 2 years or so, i even played BF2 and DOOM3 on that , its after failing recently , and i chosen to up grade to the new MSI Platnium NEO SLI and AM2, and i expect to find it works quite Well,

and i have a bios against ATI , Mostly because DELL's used to come whit them, but theres nothing wrong with the new ones , however there support site sucks
            Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice