Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving/Copying Outlook Mail Files  (Read 2943 times)

MCJerome

Moving/Copying Outlook Mail Files
« on: June 14, 2006, 09:30:32 PM »
Hello All.  This is my first post here.  I'm glad to have found what looks like a fantastic forum.

As a non tech expert, I am gearing up to reinstall my XP Home Operating System on my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.  First time for such a scarey event.  (Any pointers?)
The hard drive is partitioned and as I understand it, my data files are on the D Drive and the program files are on the C Drive.  When reinstalling the OS onto the C Drive, it will wipe clean everything on there while the D drive remains unharmed.  

I have found from the "Data File Management" button, under the Outlook File Menu, that my email files are stored in the Application Data Folder on the C Drive.  
How can I move/copy and somehow not lose my whole history of email during the reinstallation process.  
How then, do I get the reinstalled Outlook program to find and recognize all the emails again?  
It's a bit strange.   Am I write in the impression that all of my emails, thousands, are contained in one file?  

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and hopefully help me with my situation.  

Best,

Matthew

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Moving/Copying Outlook Mail Files
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »
    Matthew ,  You should find all your Email stored here .

The default location where Outlook 2003 stores your data is in Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

To double check where Outlook is saving data, go to Tools > Options… > Mail Setup > Data Files… and you will see a listing of all of your data files (along with an interface for managing them).

Hope this helps you

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 04:09:03 AM »
    Have a read here:

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

You are talking Outlook and not Outlook Express?

Express info here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

MCJerome

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:51:29 PM »
    Hey thanks so much.  That link looks like just the guide I've been looking for.  
    A follow up question:
    Since my computer is partitioined with programs on the C drive and Data on the D Drive, is there any reason I should NOT organize things after the OS reinstall so that the mail files are on the D drive?  Would they need to be in a particular folder?  

I'm considering switchinig to Mozilla's Thunderbird.  Am I right in thinking that I can import the mail files to Thunderbird just like I would with Outlook?  It serves essentially the same functions, no?  

Many thanks.

Matthew

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:09:07 AM »
    Thunderbird is a good choice, particularly if you're handling multiple email accounts (something Outlook has been a little awkard about, historically).  Thunderbird will not be able to connect to an Exchange server, so could be less useful in a corporate context.

Re Outlook's data files, you might find >this discussion< of interest.  Thuderbird can import some, but not all of Outlook's data.  It can import contact information, but does not have all the same fields as Outlook, so there is a possibility of some data loss on the way (e.g. multiple phone numbers/email accounts for one contact).

For transferring over email, including sent folders, etc., I strongly recommend switching to an IMAP email account with your ISP, if possible.  (That facility may already be there, you just don't know about it.)  IMAP is an advanced email system that is good if you plan to access your email from multiple locations/computers.  Basically the email is kept on the server; you just download copies.  IMAP tracks which messages have been seen, deleted, etc.

The advantage for you is that using the old Outlook, you could copy all of your email into the IMAP account (drag and drop; nested folders are possible with IMAP), then it will all be there when you come to connect with your new setup.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:22:29 PM »
    And this is a great FREE utility for backing up and restoring all aspects of Thunderbird AND Firefox:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

A pretty slick little program, I think.  ;D

MCJerome

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
    Awesome tips guys.  Thanks.  
    Rob, my att account his spam ridden and a mess.  I'm thinking of focusing things on the GMAIL.  Can't find any IMAP setting, though.  

The Biggger question though:  Before I reinstall my OS, is there something I should be thinking about saving on my C Drive?  I've got my My Documents and all Data on the D Drive.  I exported copies of my Perosnal and ARchive Outlook folders to the D Drive.  
    Is there some other information I should be concerned about losing before wiping out everything on the C drive with the reinstall?  I know I'll have to also reinstall all programs.  
    I've also exported the favorites and bookmarks from IE and Firefox.  
    Any last minutes words of wisdom?

Thanks so much.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »
    Gmail has been promising IMAP support for some time now, but as far as I know it is not yet implemented.  A pity really.

I recommend backnig up the Application Data folder in its entirety - that will not do any harm.  In fact, just copy your whole profile.  That should mop up everything you need.  MS finally got it right with XP, and stored (almost) all user data in one subtree.

They finally took the hint from Unix...

Do you have any Office templates?  They may be stored under the Office installation folder.  Check there.

Other than that, you might want to do a search of the hard drive for particular types of file: *.doc, *.pub, *.mp3, etc.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos