Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Xoftspy a good program??  (Read 4122 times)

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Is Xoftspy a good program??
    « on: June 24, 2006, 06:38:08 AM »
    and what is winantiviruspro?? It keeps popping up but I'm too scared to click on it.

Thanks
    amanda

GX1_Man

Re: Is Xoftspy a good program??
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »
    If you have things popping up you are already infected with something. Have a read here. Good solutions are available for free:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

RapedApe

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:26:48 PM »
    Winantiviruspro is what's known as a rogue program. It poses as an antivirus in order to get people to download it. It's not something you want on you're computer. Best thing to do would be go into add/remove programs and look for any toolbars as well as winantiviruspro in there. Next download and save X-Cleaner to you're desktop. Then download, install and update Ewido. After you've got those two on reboot into safe mode (F8 on system startup) and run them both. It would also be a good idea to turn off system restore. Just right click "My Computer" then choose properties, click on the system restore tab and check the box to turn it off and click apply. After the system is clean you can turn it back on. If you're still having problems after that download HijackThis and post a logfile here for us to look at.

Good Luck

highlander

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:19:27 PM »
    xoftspy by paretologic was listed as rogue/malware for a long time; they've been cleaning up their act & most people have them on a watch list now. Personally, with so many proven, reliable trusted products out there, I wouldn't touch it!

RoadRodent

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »
    Sometime ago I was one of the first to be infected with 'Spyfalcon' while running Norton Security Suite (mainly for the Firewall) and Spy Doctor, backed up by Ad-AwareSE. None of them could even see 'Spyfalcon' let alone remove it. A friend suggested Xoftspy, although suspicious, I tried the free scan and, after it found the problem, purchased it to remove the problem. Since then updated Spy Doctor removed some remnant's but this was some time later. Since that time I have run Xoftspy with the others when I'm really worried that I may have got myself infected and a couple of times Xoftspy has found problems the others have missed. Overall I could not recommend Xoftspy as your main spyware program but it helped me out and it's poor rep. seems a little unfair.