Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: advice on a server im building...  (Read 2445 times)

Dead_reckon

advice on a server im building...
« on: June 24, 2006, 06:58:34 PM »
ok, so i plan to build a data "server" out of ordinary PC parts, it will be running just about 24\7, i was wondering what OS i should use for it, the computer i will be connecting to it will be running XP pro, so i doubt a linux server will work, although im not sure... if you need to, or want to know the hardware im gonna use ill post links to the hardware im going to buy this coming school year

GX1_Man

Re: advice on a server im building...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:00:39 PM »
A linux server would be perfectly fine using Samba. I thought you hated Microsoft and now you're talking XP Pro?

You don't need exotic, state of the art hardware for a server, by the way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 07:04:22 PM by GX1_Man »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »
The firm that I'm about to leave ran an AMD K2-450 with 192MB RAM for about 6 years.  This had Linux + Samba and for a small (7 workstation) network, it ran file server, web server, instant messaging server and database server, no problems.  Typical uptime: 18 months.

It finally died when its (underloaded!) PSU failed a couple of weeks ago.  Time to upgrade.  :)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dead_reckon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:11:22 PM »
im using a 939 socket system, 6 sata devices and IDE devices, gonna build it for about 500 bucks, my computer tah i am building will run at about 1500, or more, i will have 2800 to blow this coming school year, but i need to set aside some of it, so i can get my dads air horn kit for his chirstmas\b day present, my moped, and a few other things that may come up.

i do hate XP home edtion, pro is ok, right now im running xp pro corporate edition 2002, and ubuntu linux as a dual boot, a friend of mine is going to teach me some stuff with linux, but, right now, i know very little of linux. i do know quite a bit about XP, and windows in general, so, ill stick with it for my computer, and use linux for the server, if thats compatible... the only thing the server will be used for is for my personal data (music, movies, ISO's, VCD'd, ect...) and my dads personal data on the stuff he buys and sells on ebay, and some other odd and ends stuff, im just gonna have a folder for my self thats shared, and a folder for my dad thats shared, my brother doesnt really need any space on it, he already has a 250 gig. my dad is really paranoid about his computer crashing and loss of data, so, he wont have to worry as much since his data will be backed up on the server. the only problem i have with building the server is that im gonna use a cheap aluminum steel case that my dad has layin around, but i have to cut a top fan vent, and a side fan vent, then it will be runnin 6 80mm fans, they wont glow or anything, i see no need in a glowing server. my computer will glow enough to make a christmas tree green with envy.. the server will be running an AMD 2.0ghz 64 bit, HT 939 socket proccessor, ECS MB, 1 gig of ram (i already have the gig of ram in the computer i am running now) dvd burner, 250 gig 3.0 gigs a second WD caviar hard drive, havnt found the PSU yet, and im going to find a 5.25 bay hard drive cooler for it. if you want to see any of the parts for either the server or the computer, just ask.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »
That sounds definitely like overkill for a server, but it's your ca$h. A good used PIII would do just fine and be about $50-100.  See picture

<-------------------------
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:57:29 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:37:21 PM »
lol, i need it to be able to handle lots of hard drives, hence the fact of the 6 sata devices... and the 64bit chip was a few dollars more than the non 64 ht chip, so i cant complain