Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help- Computer Not booting unless Cmos Is Jumped  (Read 2454 times)

Methosk

Help- Computer Not booting unless Cmos Is Jumped
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:46:22 PM »
Ok, I just unplugged all my computer hardware and moved it from my old case to my new one, aswell as putting in a new 80 gig Hard drive and a new 1 gig stick of ram. At first when I attempted to start the computer it said it had a bios error and I should insert a system boot floppy disk, but when I put in my boot disk it would just read and not do anything. So then I decided to try and jump my CMOS Jumper, that seemed to work, and the computer started up like normal, except it said the Cmos data was cleared and default was loading, and I should recustomize it. I decided to leave it at default, and loaded windows, did the normal Email check, then shut down the comp. I then discovered later, that the Comp would power up, but not load anything, not even go to the load up screen. I then decided to try jumpin the CMOS, then the comp started fine, and it now seams, to get the comp to start and run, I need to rejump the CMOS before starting up the comp.

Any Help Is greatly appreciated.
If you need exact Comp specs just let me know.

Damnation

Re: Help- Computer Not booting unless Cmos Is Jump
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 12:50:01 AM »
Please post exact computer specs, don't exactly know what the problem is yet, maybe the specs will help.

Except for the case, the only things that changed is the memory and another HD. So, take out the HD and memory and see what happens.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:15:21 AM »
"jumpin the CMOS" is really too vague for comprehension. What exactly have you done?

A project like this should be done gradually. When you change this many variables and something doesn't work you are left to wonder where to start. How about one stick RAM, 1 hard drive, no optical drives, no add in cards except video if needed. What happens now?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:16:58 AM by GX1_Man »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Help- Computer Not booting unless CM Is Jumped
    « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:31:19 AM »
    Well i know what he means by jump the CMOS

On most Mother Boards there is A Jumper(Two Metal Pins and a Jacket(Jumper)) For Resting the Bios to factory Settings ,

How ever why you would need this to be in the "Jumped" position to start your computer is very odd. in most cases the computer wont Boot White it is jumped , and you then need to remove the jumper to get it to start

Maby you have the operation of your bios backward, it could be that when a jumper is present that operations are normal, and when no jumper is present that it resets to factory?
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Dead_reckon

Re: Help- Computer Not booting unless CM Is Jumped
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 01:18:49 PM »
    Well i know what he means by jump the CMOS

On most Mother Boards there is A Jumper(Two Metal Pins and a Jacket(Jumper)) For Resting the Bios to factory Settings ,

How ever why you would need this to be in the "Jumped" position to start your computer is very odd. in most cases the computer wont Boot White it is jumped , and you then need to remove the jumper to get it to start

Maby you have the operation of your bios backward, it could be that when a jumper is present that operations are normal, and when no jumper is present that it resets to factory?

my motherboard has this "jumper" at times i will try to boot and it will just read the dvd burner drive, over and over and over and over and into eternity if i let it, i have to reset the bios when this happens, it is quite annoying, i have to set it to boot pci video device first, then set the onboard videos shared memory to 16 mb so it wont rob 32 megs of my ram, and i have to reset the boot sequence, also i turn off the shut down tempature, and set it to beep instead, i got tired of it geting to what i consider an unsafe temp (120 degrees  farenhite) and shutting down in the middle of what im doing, which was usually gaming....

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:45:25 PM »
      I think I'd change it's battery.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 02:47:45 PM »
      So you are attempting to powere up and run the computer with this jumper set? Who said that was ever a good idea?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 03:09:21 PM »
         Methosk......  Please provide the make and model number of your motherboard ......

I would suggest D/L Everest ........  http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html  

It will give you the make and model of your mobo and a whole lot more .....

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »
        i use SISofware sandra lite to identify all of my hardware, and monitor tempatures, stuff like that

tekman22003

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 05:59:37 PM »
        I never jump anything.  It may damage the motherboard.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 06:28:49 PM »
        And especially not with jumper cables.  :o

Dead_reckon

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 09:51:02 AM »
        my motherboard comes stock with a lil lime green jumper on the board, i have to move it over a notch, hit the power switch, mover it back to its default place, turn on the computer, and viola, BIOS is reset to default... havnt had to do that in a couple months, im hoping my computer isnt going to make me have to do that again