Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Port/Router Problems  (Read 2162 times)

Paperbag

Port/Router Problems
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
Alright first off i would like to say ... I hope this is the right category ...

Here is my setup, My cable modem is connected to a router upstairs, which branches off to an upstairs comp and another router positioned downstairs, which is connected to my computer.

Now here is my problem im useing Azureus (p2p downloading program ... or Bittorrent program)
Im not getting a full connection. So I was wondering if its because Of the two router setup ?
IE: Its not getting to the desired port because of the first or second router ?

From what i understand i've opened up the port i want to use, TCP and UDP type of the same port. I;ve set it up so its the same port for both  And set it up to where the program is allowed to go through the firewall ( Windows Defualt, Never had problems with it before) ... Don't know if i did something wrong there.

Anyone who could help me with this, it would be much appreciated it.

Uptairs ~ D-link (some crappy router my cable modem came with)
DownStairs ~ Linksys 4 port
Isp ~ Charter (if that makes a diffrence)

Any other info needed to assist me i can give no problem. Thank you in advanced.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:25:48 PM by Paperbag »

GX1_Man

Re: Port/Router Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 04:13:31 PM »
Two routers frequently causes problems? Is there a need you wave for a second router as opposed to a range extender, etc.?

Paperbag

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »
Well there is only one other problem i have seen... I have my Ps2 hooked up to the same router as my computer... And i play online alot... Ever since i hooked up my second router i have been kicked off the internet ( on my Playstation). It started off at 10:40 pm every night and every morning. Recently tho, it has been doing it at a random time every day. last time i was online it kicked me off at 1:15 pm.

The reason i have a second router hooked up is ... because the only sources of internet i have downstairs .. Is just a cable with Plugs on both ends... so there are no jacks installed in the basement at this time... that and because of my PS2 i need a 2 connections.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 05:15:16 PM »
A hub or switch, connected to the router, would probably work better than the second router.  See Can I connect a hub or switch to my D-Link router to add more computers?.

Yes, you can connect two routers together, but settings in one or the other need to be changed.  I can't recall the details.  I believe you can find info specific addressing this issue on D-Link's site and Linksys' site.

Edit: Google for info.  Here's one hit: Connecting two 4-port routers
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:36:15 PM by soybean »